Regular faculty members, cross-appointees and adjunct professors who are interested in membership in the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (FGPS) should:
- submit a request, in writing, to the Chair of the department, Dr. Daniel Figeys (this request may be submitted at the same time as the request for a cross- or adjunct appointment)
- submit a request, in writing, to the Chair of the department Dr. Zemin Yao (this request may be submitted at the same time as the request for a cross- or adjunct appointment)
- the applicant should outline their reasons for wishing membership in the FGPS
- obtain a brief letter of confirmation from the director/supervisor where you hold your main appointment, supporting your appointment in the FGPS (for cross-appointments only – not required for adjunct appointments)
- submit an updated curriculum vitae, prepared in the OCGS format (see sample)
- Professors may wish to write short covering letters explaining their research contributions
- optional: provide a selection of your most recent publications (maximum of 5, 1 copy of each)
Download the sample CV in OCGS format (28 KB)
Requests will be considered by the Departmental Teaching Personnel Committee, and decided by vote. If approved, the Chair will forward the recommendation to the Faculty Teaching Personnel Committee. All applicants for membership in the FGPS will receive a copy of the requirements for membership, and the expectations of the department.
In considering applications for membership in the FGPS, the departmental Teaching Personnel Committee will consider the following factors, which represent departmental expectations and requirements over and above the requirements set out by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies:
- Academic excellence in terms of quality of work, productivity, success in obtaining grants etc.
- Maintenance of an active program in an area of research relevant to the department.
- Experience as a graduate student, post-doctoral fellow or researcher in an academic institution in a basic science department, and/or previous experience supervising graduate students. Willingness to have a co-supervisor may be a pre-condition when submitting applications to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
- In order to maintain a continued link with students who are studying off-site, Adjunct Professors who wish to take graduate students will be asked to identify a core member of the department, who is also a member of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, to act as co-supervisor.
- Willingness to teach in the graduate program, including lectures, participation in comprehensive examinations, thesis examinations, thesis advisory committees and supervision of B.Sc. honours thesis research, as required.
Periodic Review of Membership in the FGPS:
Periodically, the Executive Committee of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies reviews memberships in the FGPS, which usually coincides with the terms of cross- or adjunct appointments. When a professor is scheduled for review, he/she will be informed by the Chair that his/her membership will be re-examined. They will also be asked to provide specific details about their contributions to the department during the past term (i.e. student supervision, involvement in teaching at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, course development, membership on thesis advisory committees, examining and/or chairing thesis defences and comprehensive examinations, membership on graduate committees, seminar attendance, etc.) as an up-dated curriculum vitae, presented in the OCGS format. The decision regarding renewal will be made by the departmental Teaching Personnel Committee, forwarded to the Faculty Teaching Personnel Committee, and then to the FGPS for final approval.
For more information please contact Doris Peixoto.