Video contest for BEST SCIENCE VIDEOS
We are happy to launch our very first BMI SCIENCE VIDEO BATTLE! Your laboratory group is invited to produce a short video (< 1 minute) to promote the research in our department and share your passion about science. These lab videos will compete against each other in a friendly competition that will take the form of a tournament bracket. We are looking for great quality science videos that are entertaining to post on our social media platforms!
The tournament will have 3 rounds where labs will face each other.
- The theme for the first round of videos is #WhatsYourScience. In this round, groups should submit a video describing the science taking place in their labs.
- Each lab group who submits a video for the first round will receive up to a maximum of 50$ to spend on PIZZA.
- The deadline to submit your videos is ***Extended deadline February 26 !!! ***
- The competition will then be ON!
We will organise the release of the videos where labs will compete against each other in a tournament-bracket style on our social media platforms on a monthly basis. The winners will be determined by the number views (1 point), likes (2 points), and shares (5 points) their videos will have gathered during this month on the Youtube, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook BMI accounts.
Each month, 2 or 3 labs will compete. The winner will move to next round until the Finale. Lab matchups will be determined randomly.
3 rounds are planned for the tournament, but we will adjust the number of rounds according to the number of video submissions. The next two rounds will have the following themes.
- Second Round: #ExplainAScienceConcept
- Finale: #MusicalScience
To be posted on our social media platforms the videos have to follow the guidelines listed below. Please make sure to respect those. Videos not respecting these guidelines will not be able to enter the competition.
- 60 seconds max
- File format: MP4 (with H.264 Codec & AAC audio, 3,500 kbps video bitrate)
- Maximum Dimensions: 1080 px Wide
- File size: Maximum 20 GB
- Aspect ratio 16:9 for best result
- Content has to be original content
- No: Political rhetoric
- NSFW (not safe for work) content
- Content of any sexual nature
- Not offensive ….
- We reserve the right to post the videos on our social media platforms
Video submission procedure
To submit your video, you can either:
- Send an email at BMIcomm@uottawa.ca containing a link to a file, which will be hosted on a file sharing web service such as Google Drive, Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc. Please note that these services have different limitations regarding maximum file sizes. We recommend Google Drive based on its flexibility.
- Provide your video on a USB flash drive to one of the committee members.
For any questions, please talk with one of the members of the communication committee
- Steffany Bennett
- Jun Yu Gao (Jayu)
- Morgan Fullerton
- Mathieu Lavallee-Adam
- Veronique Tremblay
- Patrick Taylor
Or email us at