Please direct your questions to the coordinator for this program. Contact information is available in the application requirements section.
1. How do I apply?
For more information please visit the Application Requirements section of our website for the application process, eligibility requirements, and deadlines. Be sure to read the additional requirements for the Self-Design program.
2. When should I apply?
Funding from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is allocated based upon the residency training period from July – June (ex. July 2016 – June 2017). Your application should be submitted the year prior to when you would begin. For example, apply in August 2015 for a start date between July 2016 and June 30, 2017.
Off-cycle and IMG residents may not officially be a PGY2 resident at the time of the application deadline. Applications will be accepted based upon the criteria listed above.
3. Can I apply after the deadline?
No. We do not accept applications outside of the dates listed on the website.
4. I am applying to more than one PGY3 program. Am I required to submit an application to each program I am applying to?
5. Do my reference letter and questionnaire need to be submitted directly by my reference? How should they be submitted?
Yes, they must be submitted by your reference via email and/or regular mail but, must be received before the application closing deadline. Reference letters and questionnaires should be directed to the PGY3 Program Coordinator and will be forwarded to the appropriate Program Director for review along with your application.
6. Can the reference letter from the Program Director come from the program Site Director instead?
No. At least one of your reference letters and questionnaires must come from your Family Medicine Program Director.
7. What is the Reference Questionnaire and why is it required as part of my application?
The questionnaire has been adopted by some of the PGY3 programs to ensure that specific topics are addressed by your referee. Applicants are required to forward the appropriate questionnaire, either the “Program Director Questionnaire” or the” General Questionnaire”, to their references. The questionnaire should be submitted directly by the referee along with the letter of reference before the application deadline.
8. I am a current practicing family physician who will be applying for re-entry funding. Should I apply to my PGY3 program of interest during the regular application cycle?
For Return of Service re-entry funding, re-entry candidates must apply directly to the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care. Applications sent directly to the Department will not be accepted.
Please visit the MOHLTC webpage for further information.
you will receive a confirmation that your application has been received; and
after the deadline and once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an email stating whether or not an interview is offered.
10. How can I get information about interviews?
Most interviews are held at the Department during weekday business hours (08:00 – 16:00) though there are some exceptions. You will receive further information after the application deadline in the email confirming receipt of your application.
11. Who is on the interview panel?
Depending on the program there will be 3 – 4 panelists including the Program Director and current resident (when possible).
12. What are the processes for offers and acceptances?
All applicants will receive an email notifying them if they will receive an offer (see the timeline in the APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS section). Applicants who receive offers will have until mid-December to accept (typically the day after the FM-EM CaRMS match). If the offer is accepted, you will receive an email confirmation and more information will follow from the Postgraduate Medical Education Office in mid to late April.
13. What if I decline an offer?
If you decline an offer, the next person on the waiting list will be offered the position in the program.
14. What if I am told I am on the wait list?
You will be contacted should a position become available. You may be contacted after the mid-December deadline should there be positions available.
15. I am interested in applying but live outside of Ottawa. How do I find out information about living in Ottawa?
Please visit YOU AT uOTTAWA for more information about the city and what it has to offer.