The Generalist Division of Obstetrics & Gynecology is diverse in its involvement in all aspects of Womens Health and its intimate links to the other Divisions within our Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Newborn Care.
The Division comprises of 22 members, 19 of whom provide obstetrical care to more than 85% of all patients delivered at the Ottawa Hospital. Over half of the Generalists provide care and education in both official languages. Only two of our members are hospital-based, the rest providing most clinical services in private office settings, permitting a proportionately greater allocation of scarce resources to our patients.
The Division of Generalists in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Newborn Care prides itself in the provision of safe, effective care and has undertaken many initiatives in the areas of patient safety, quality assurance, and evidence-based medicine. These include:
- pilot site participation in the national MORE OB program
- development of quality indicators and incident review processes (The Ottawa Hospital, General and Civic Campus Quality assurance committees and Perinatal Care Committees.)
- development of clinical practice guidelines and clinical pathways
- development of clinical efficiencies to reduce length of stay and resource utilization, with the result that many procedures are now carried out in the ambulatory setting
- rapid achievement of LOS benchmarks when 11 beds were removed from our division in 2001
- development of the Antenatal Homecare Independent Self Care Unit to permit the reinvestment of 1400 saveable days into better, cost-efficient care to more women with obstetrical complications.
Through our commitment to excellence in clinical care, we are integral to the recruitment and participation of patients and staff in the many research activities of the Department.
Our commitment to teaching is demonstrated through the volume of undergraduate and postgraduate medical education provided in the Ottawa Hospital. The other academic divisions within our Department would find it difficult to achieve their current educational commitment without the teaching support provided by the Generalist Division.
- Gynecological Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Colposcopy and LEEP
- Vulvar Clinic
- Benign Gynecology Clinic
The Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus
1053 Carling Ave
Ottawa, ON K1Y 4E9
The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus
501 Smyth Road
Ottawa, ON K1H 8L6
The Ottawa Hospital, Riverside Campus
1967 Riverside Drive
Ottawa, ON K1H 7W9