Welcome to Gynecologic Oncology
The Division of Gynecologic Oncology represents the Regional Gynecologic Oncology Program for the Champlain LHIN and Gatineau areas. It provides the only tertiary Gynecologic Oncology comprehensive cancer care within the region. Its primary focus is a longitudinal model of care based on multidisciplinary care delivery from screening, diagnosis, treatment to palliation and incorporates an integrated translational and health services and clinical trial research program.
The gynecologic oncology team is made up of 5 board certified gynecologic oncologists (Drs. Michael Fung Kee Fung, Tien Le, Wylam Faught, Laura Hopkins and Johanne Weberpals), a palliative care physician (GP oncologist Dr. Belinda Barnes) and 1 subspecialty fellow (Dr. Elena Igwe). The program has the only endowed Chair in ovarian cancer research in Canada and incorporates two world renowned basic scientists, Dr. Barbara Vanderhyden and Dr. Benjamin Tsang.
Research activities and accomplishments
- The only ovarian cancer chair in research in the country, priority for the centre for cancer therapeutics.
- One of the first established ovarian cancer tumor banks and data resource repository.
- Leaders in clinical trials participation and pre-clinical drug testing. Part of the National Cancer Institute of Canada and industry-sponsored clinical trials, as well as being part of the NCI/Consortium for new drug evaluation (part of only 8 cancer centres in North America with access to new and emerging drugs, phase 1 and phase 2 clinical trials).
- Research focusing on ovarian cancer, health services research, translational research and psychosocial research.
- Health services research focusing on quality of life and decision analysis in gynecologic cancer.
- An innovative bench to bedside program has resulted in phase III trials in the United States (compounds, evaluation of viruses and target therapeutics on tumor tissue).
- Development of first animal model of ovarian cancer for pre-clinical testing of novel therapies.
- Has a well recognized and productive international research partnership program in gynecologic oncology with Japan, China, Taiwan and Korea.
Innovations in patient care and teachings
- First Internet-based learning portfolio, KOALA.
- First Internet-based Palm portfolio 2003 distributed nationally into gynecological oncology.
- First computerized colposcopy relational database in Canada (award winning), GOCIS.
- Establishment of interactive voice response teaching program for surgery.
- Launch of GOSOCS, the first fully integrated multi-disciplinary business and knowledge management solution for ovarian cancer database in the province.
- Partnering with numerous high tech companies both locally and nationally.
- Launch of GOCOMM’s computerized and case-based learning program for communication skills training.
Innovation – Model of care delivery
Implemented new models of care in chemo delivery as well as primary care nursing model in cancer care. Expanded the role of GP oncologist in the gynecologic oncology team.
Provide regional services for gynecological cancer care.
- A resource for complex gynecological benign surgery.
- Leaders in development of provincial practice guidelines for gynecologic oncology.
- Academic leader for the establishment of the Cervical Screening Program within the Ottawa-Carleton region (partners include the Queensway-Carleton Hospital, Montfort Hospital, Winchester District Memorial Hospital and the Renfrew Victoria Hospital).
- Numerous awards in education. All faculty members have been recognized nationally and internationally with numerous awards.
- Accredited fellowship training program in gynecologic oncology. Gynecologic Oncology staff
Please click here for a list of Staff and Physicians in the Gynecologic Oncology Division.