- To acquire experience beyond that of the normal residency in the diagnosis and treatment of medical and surgical retinal disorders by working closely with fellowship trained retinal surgeons at the University of Ottawa Eye Institute, the Riverside Eye Care Centre and the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario.
- To become familiar with the use of diagnostic equipment for the diagnosis of retinal detachments, retinal tears and retinal disease including ultrasonography, fluorescein angiography, indocyanine green angiography and electrodiagnostics.
- To acquire experience reading computerized optical coherence tomography scans, ultrasonography scans, fluorescein and indocyanine green images and electrodiagnostic scans.
- To acquire experience in the surgical management of retinal tears and detachments, vitreous hemorrhage, macular disease, intraocular tumors, retinopathy of prematurity and traumatic ocular injury.
- To acquire experience in the management and treatment of macular degeneration.
- To become familiar with the management and operation of clinical trials related to retinal disease.
- Participate in at least one clinical or basic research project during the twenty-four months and present the data at a national or international meeting. Participate in writing several scientific reports or case reports during the fellowship year.
- Play a role in the teaching of medical students and residents.
This position is offered through the SF Match and uses its Central Application Service (CAS). Interested and qualified applicants should submit a personal statement, curriculum vitae, and three confidential reference letters through CAS. Non-CAS documents include medical school/residency transcripts and should be submitted to Ginette Snook. All Foreign Trainee applications to our program must go through the PGME office. Foreign Trainee candidates must apply on-line through the Fellowship application system. The application site for Foreign Trainnees opens in July/August and the deadline for applications is September 30th for the next academic year. All Foreign Trainee candidates are expected to apply to both the SF Match and the PGME Foreign applications. Applications are due in the fall. Interview notifications will be made in October. Interviews will be held at the end of October/November. The Match takes place in December.