Inpatient hematology/oncology is both an admitting and consulting service. Patients are admitted to 4North at CHEO under the attending hematologist/oncologist. In 2013, there were 2,947 inpatient visits by hematologists/oncologists as a further 184 new patient consultations.
Outpatient care is provided in the new clinic located in the Gary Cardiff Wing. In 2013, there were a total of 6,883 outpatient visits, 4,612 in oncology and 2,271 in hematology. Clinics occur daily with different sub-specialties including:
- Oncology aftercare (pediatric and adult)
- Bone marrow transplantation
- Hemoglobinopathies (Sickle Cell/Thalassemia)
- Benign hematology
- Hemophilia / von Willebrand
- Adolescent hematology/gynecology
- Home and school visits (Pediatric Interlink Community Nurse)
- Individual and group-based educational sessions
Clinical Problems and Diseases Evaluated and Followed
The Division of Hematology/Oncology deals with patients with cancer and blood disorders.