Reporting to the Vice-Dean of Postgraduate Medical Education, the IMG Director at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine is responsible for supporting IMG residents in succeeding in their Royal College of Physician and Surgeons specialty residency programs. To that end, s/he will refer both IMG residents and Program Directors to appropriate resources and tools to assist with integrating trainees into the Canadian medical education system; as well as provide support to IMG trainees in academic difficulty.
Qualifications and Expectations
The IMG Director must:
- Be a faculty member in good standing.
- Possess leadership ability.
- Possess ability to negotiate, mediate conflicts and advocate for additional training where appropriate.
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be familiar with PGME evaluation policies and procedures.
- Possess an understanding of the PGY1 residency match process (CaRMS), with particular focus on the eligibility of entry for IMG learners.
- Be resourceful and have knowledge of where to gather information for new trainees.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the intrinsic CanMEDS roles as well as various methods to teach and assess knowledge, skills and attitudes in these areas.
- Have completed Crucial Conversations, and Crucial Accountability courses.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports RCPSC IMG residents in succeeding in their residency program. This includes:
- creating a system to identify residents who may be in need of support during their AVP period and beyond
- liaising with program directors to find the best means of supporting those residents
- liaising with current IMG support services in family medicine to form a coherent strategy of support for IMGs
- meeting with these residents regularly as necessary to identify learning needs and other needs that may be provided by PGME office or by the IMG Support program
- providing ongoing mentorship (with peer mentors or with the IMG support director) as necessary above and beyond what each program might provide
- Organizes and provides an orientation program for new specialty IMG trainees to the PGME system.
- Organizes and provide ways to support IMGs through the MCCQE Part 2 exam (where it is relevant)
- Organizes events to guide RCPSC IMGs in their career planning.
- Identifies and refers RCPSC IMG residents and Program Directors to resources that support IMG trainees as they integrate into the Canadian medical education system, i.e.: language training, clinical skills improvement, cultural support, and personal health and wellness.
- Provides RCPSC IMG residents with individual coaching and mentoring as appropriate.
- Identifies resources to assist Program Directors to provide support to trainees in academic difficulty.
- Represents the unique needs of the IMG trainees on the PGME Evaluation Subcommittee.
- Assists Program Directors in understanding the unique role of the IMG resident and how they can support their integration into the Canadian medical education system
- Is a member of the Postgraduate Medical Education Committee (PGEC) as an ex-officio member (non-voting)
- Provides a yearly report on activities to the Vice-Dean and Assistant Dean, PGME
- The IMG Director will be appointed by the Vice-Dean, PGME.
- The appointment will be for 3 years, renewable, and may cease at any point in time with 30 days notice from either party.
Revised October 25, 2017