Faculty Wellness Program
At the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, the well being of all members of our Faculty continues to be of the highest priority.
What do we do?
The Faculty Wellness Program (FWP) is an official, working group of the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine. It is committed to the enhancement of the well-being of all members of our Faculty, including Faculty Members (Clinical and Non-Clinical), Students (Undergraduate, Graduate, and Postgraduate), and Support Staff.
Terms of Reference
The Faculty Wellness Program is a standing program within the University of Ottawa's, Faculty of Medicine.
The mandate of the Committee is to assist the Director of the Faculty Wellness Program, and the Dean of the Faculty, in promoting the health and well being of members of the Faculty of Medicine (Faculty members, Support Staff, Residents and Students,).
Health and Wellness Promotion
- To promote a comprehensive understanding of health and wellness as it applies to medical professionals, and its relationship to the provision of excellent clinical care, teaching, and research
- To promote educational programs designed to enhance participant’s attitudes, knowledge, and skills in the area of medical student and physician well being
- To work with the Faculty in identifying and addressing health and well being needs of its support staff
- To maintain a confidential resource list of professionals skilled at working with medical professionals
- To offer immediate support as well as facilitate referrals to external professionals
- To promote research in physician health and Faculty wellness
- To offer support to the Office of Student Affairs when requested and appropriate.
- To partner with community agencies where appropriate and possible (e.g. Academy of Medicine, Ottawa; Ontario Medical Association's Physician Support Program; Canadian Physician Health Network; and, the Canadian Medical Association's Centre for Physician Health)
- Director, Faculty Wellness Program (ex-officio) will act as Chair of the committee
- Assistant Dean, Professional Affairs
- at least one member of Faculty support staff (two year term)
- at least one medical student selected by the student society (two year term)
- at least one official representative from each Department of the Faculty (two year term)
- at least one resident selected by PAIRO (two year term)
- at least one member representing the basic sciences (two year term)
- at least one graduate student selected by the graduate student's society (two year term)
Subcommittees may be formed to address special issues.
What can we offer to you?
- Departmental Consultations on Wellness
- Individual referrals to health care providers, financial advisors, counselors or therapists
- Educational interventions shaped to suit the need of your group, program, or department
- Information on conflict resolution