Cardiac Imaging Fellowship Director: Elena Pena Fernandez, MD
Program Administrator: Avril D'Silva
The University of Ottawa offers a one-year cardiac MR/cardiac CT fellowship. Approximately 350-500 cardiac MRs and 1500 - 2000 cardiac CTs are performed per year.
Residents who have completed an accredited residency in Diagnostic Radiology and have passed the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, ABR, or equivalent exams, and who wish to pursue an academic career in cardiac radiology are eligible for this program.
- To develop a detailed knowledge of cardiac anatomy, cardiac hemodynamics, exercise physiology, standard cardiovascular pharmacology, echocardiography and rest and stress electrocardiography
- To develop the ability to protocol, supervise and interpret cardiac CT and cardiac MR
- To develop a detailed working knowledge of the 3D workstations used in conjunction with the scanners
- To demonstrate the ability to teach the technicians, residents and other staff
- To participate in daily/weekly, monthly work rounds
- To develop and complete at least one research project, present at one (or more) national or international meeting(s) and to publish at least one paper in a peer-reviewed journal
The successful candidate will also be required to observe a minimum of 50 coronary angiograms with CTA correlation as well as 100 echocardiograms and participate in the interpretation of these studies. The candidate will also be required to complete the ACLS course.
The candidate will spend three days per week in Cardiac CT and one day in Cardiac MR. One day per week will be dedicated to research.
Holidays: Four weeks
Conference Leave: One week (expenses paid if candidate is presenting at the meeting)
Evaluation Process: Assessment will be ongoing with the training supervisors and a formal evaluation will be provided every 3 months.
Academic Year 2019-20: deadline to apply is September 30, 2017