Dr. Michelle Chiu MD, FRCPC
Dr. Michelle Chiu MD, FRCPC
Room: Department of Anesthesiology, The Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Ave, Ottawa, ON, K1Y 4E9
|2014 - present||Assistant Professor, Department of Innovation in Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
|2014 - present||Simulation Educator, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada|
|2013 - present||Director of Exam Material Development & Nucleus Committee Member, Examination Board in Anesthesiology, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada|
|2011 - present||Director, Foundational Elements of Applied Simulation Theory (FEAST) Curriculum Academy for Innovation in Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
|2011 - present||Simulation Director, Department of Anesthesiology, The Ottawa Hospital & University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
|2006 - present||Co-Director - Anesthesia Fellowship in Simulation and Medical Education, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
|2001 - present||Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
|2001 - present||Attending Staff, Department of Anesthesiology, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario|
Honours and awards
|2014||Teaching Skills Attainment Award with Merit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
|2011||Honourable Mention, Award of Educational Advancement and Innovation in Postgraduate Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
|2007||Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society David S. Sheridan Canadian Research Award, Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society Annual Meeting, Calgary, Alberta|
|2002||University of Ottawa International Fellowship Award, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario|
- Posner G, Moore S, Chiu M, Crooks S, Lampron J, Sydor, D. Simulated Obstetrical Trauma: A Meeting of the Minds in the Emergency Department. Simulation in Healthcare: The Journal of the Society for Simulation in Healthcare, 2014, 9(4): 270-275. doi: 10.1097/SIH.0000000000000045
- Chiu M, Bryson GL, Lui A, Watters JM, Taljaard M, Nathan HJ. Reducing persistent postoperative pain and disability one year after breast cancer surgery: A randomized, controlled trial comparing thoracic paravertebral block to local anesthetic infiltration. Annals of Surgical Oncology, 2014, Mar;21(3):795-801. DOI: 10.1245/s10434-013-3334-6.
- Hayter MA, Bould MD, Afsari M, Riem N, Chiu M, Boet S. Does warm-up using mental practice improve crisis resource management performance? A simulation study. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 2013, 110(2): 299-304. doi: 10.1093/bja/aes351
- Chiu M, Arab AA, Elliott R, Naik VN. An experiential teaching session on anesthesia machine check improves resident performance after 5 years. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, 2012, 59(3): 280-287. DOI 10.1007/s12630-011-9649-5.
- Kim J, Neilipovitz D, Cardinal P, Chiu M. A Comparison of Global Rating Scale and Checklist Scores in the Validation of an Evaluation Tool to Assess Performance in the Resuscitation of Critically Ill Patients During Simulated Emergencies (Abbreviated as "CRM Simulator Study IB"). Simulation in Healthcare. Spring 2009, 4(1):6-16.