Dr. Donald R Miller MD, FRCPC
Dr. Donald R Miller MD, FRCPC
Professor of Anesthesiology
Room: Department of Anesthesiology, The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 1053 Carling Ave, Room B311, Ottawa, ON, K1Y 4E9
Work E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Miller has in past, supervised numerous residents in clinical research projects in anesthetic pharmacology. He served as Research Director of the Department of Anesthesia at the University of Ottawa, and he chaired the Research Committee of the Association of Canadian University Departments of Anesthesia (ACUDA) from 1990-1994 and the Research Committee of the Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society (CAS) from 1995-2004. He has published widely on the subjects of anesthetic pharmacology and editorial peer review, and he has been a visiting professor on many occasions, both nationally and internationally. In 2005, Dr. Miller was appointed Editor-in-Chief of the Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. During his two terms serving as Editor from 2005-2013, Dr. Miller focused considerable attention to editorial policy, editorial content, and enhancing the quality of editorial peer review and the accuracy and transparency of scientific reporting. From July 2013 to September 2014, Dr. Miller served as Interim Chair of Anesthesia at the University of Ottawa and Interim Head of Anesthesia at The Ottawa Hospital. Dr. Miller's professional time is currently devoted to clinical anesthesia, teaching (about which he is passionate!), scholarly communication, mentoring, and administration.
|2013 - 2014||Interim Head & Chair of Anesthesia; The Ottawa Hospital & University of Ottawa|
|2010 - present||Professor of Anesthesia, University of Ottawa, Department of Anesthesia|
|2005 - 2014||Editor-in-Chief, Canadian Journal of Anesthesia|
|1985 - present||Active Staff, The Ottawa Hospital, Department of TOH Anesthesiology|
|Trustee, Canadian Anesthesia Research Foundation|
Honours and awards
|2010||Promotion to: Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Ottawa|
|2005||Appointed Editor-in-Chief, Canadian Journal of Anesthesia|
|1995 - 2004||Chair, Research Awards Ceremony at Annual Meetings of the Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society (yearly from 1995-2004)|
|2004||Honorary Award for Chair, Canadian Anesthesiologists' Society Research Committee, 1995-2004, Presented at the Annual Awards Ceremony, Vancouver|
|2003||Research Recognition Award, University of Ottawa Department of Anesthesia|
- Miller DR, McCartney CL. Mentoring during anesthesia residency training: challenges and opportunities. [Editorial] Can J Anesth 2015. In press.
- Miller DR. Probability screening in manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals - an effective tool or a statistical quagmire? [Editorial] Anaesthesia. 2015. In press
- Miller DR. A fond adieu and reflections on nine years at the helm of the Journal: 2005-13. Can J Anes 2013: 60. DOI 10.1007/s12630-013-0046-0. [Editorial] Principle Author
- Beattie WS, Donati F, Cheng D, Mazer D, Miller DR: From concept to publication: celebrating mentorship and knowledge generation through research during postgraduate residency training. [Editorial] Can J Anesth 2013: 60: 625-9.
- Miller DR: Opportunities to enhance perioperative patient safety: 2013 and beyond. [Editorial] Can J Anesth 2013; 60:97-100.
- Miller DR. Failure to report harms and adverse events in clinical trials: Why does the problem continue? [Editorial] Can J Anesth 2013; 59: 1007-12. Principle Author