We are happy to launch our 2019 BMI SCIENCE VIDEO SHOWCASE! You are invited to produce a short video (< 1 minute) to promote your research and share your passion for science with the general public.
Why You Should Participate
- Participation in the showcase will count towards your CV/resume.
- Develop your ability to communicate your science quickly and effectively to your friends, family, and FUTURE EMPLOYERS.
- Science communication is a growing job market, this opportunity will help you be a part of it.
- Participant who submits a video will receive a BMI H2O bottle.
- WIN prizes: First prize $200, second prize $150, third prize $100 and fourth prize $50. The videos to be voted on by 5th graders and TOP 4 best videos will win prizes.
- You can use the video on your own website or social media, as well as your lab website to showcase your scientific enthusiasm to the next generation of scientists.
- You could enter the video in next year’s NSERC Science Action Contest, or a similar competition.
To be posted on BMI social media platforms, the videos have to follow the guidelines listed below. Please make sure to respect those. Videos not respecting these guidelines will not be able to enter the showcase.
- Maximum 60 seconds
- File format: MP4 (with H.264 Codec & AAC audio, 3,500 kbps video bitrate)
- Maximum Dimensions: 1080 px wide
- File size: Maximum 20 GB
- Aspect ratio 16:9 for best result
- Content has to be original content
- No: Political rhetoric, NSFW (not safe for work) content, content of any sexual nature
- Not offensive
- We reserve the right to post the videos on our social media platforms
Video Submission Procedure
To submit your video, you can either:
- Send an email at BMIcomm@uottawa.ca containing a link to a file, which will be hosted on a file sharing web service such as Google Drive, Dropbox, WeTransfer, etc. Please note that these services have different limitations regarding maximum file sizes. We recommend Google Drive based on its flexibility.
- Provide your video on a USB flash drive to one of the committee members.
The deadline to submit your video is ***Extended deadline June 7, 2019 @ 5pm! ***
The winner will be announced in July 2019
For any questions, please talk with one of the members of the communication committee
- Steffany Bennett
- Kristin Baetz
- Morgan Fullerton
- Mathieu Lavallée-Adam
- Elizabeth Walden
- Shannon Thompson
- Bo Xu
Or email us at BMIcomm@uottawa.ca