Adjunct Professor, Institut de recherche de l’Hôpital Montfort (IRHM)
Office: 613-746-4621 ext. 6047
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Research in the last decades clearly demonstrated that inter-organ communication is of great importance in the pathophysiology of many diseases. It is now recognized that skeletal muscles secrete cytokines named myokines that can impact on the function of distant tissues both positively and negatively.
The research conducted in Dr. Aguer's laboratory focusses on how factors secreted by skeletal muscles during muscle contraction impact metabolic health with a focus on chronic diseases linked to increased inflammation (insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, depression, etc.). The scope of her research is aimed at determining the metabolic impact of alteration in the muscle secretome, which may be induced by exercise, important chronic diseases linked to increased inflammation, and environmental pollutants.
Dr. Aguer's laboratory is funded by Institut du Savoir funds and a NSERC Discovery Grant.
- J.F. Mauger, L. Nadeau, A. Caron, N.A. Chapados,C. Aguer. Polychlorinated biphenyl 126 exposure in L6 myotubes alters glucose metabolism: a pilot study. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2016. Mar 2.
- O. Gavarry, C. Aguer, A. Delextrat, G. Lentin, K. Ayme, A. Boussuges. Severely obese adolescent girls rely earlier on carbohydrates during walking than normal-weight matched girls. Journal of Sport Sciences. 2015. 11:1-10.
- C. Aguer, C.S. McCoin, T.A. Knotts, A.B. Thrush, K.D. Ono-Moore, R. McPherson, R. Dent, D. Hwang, S.H. Adams, M.E. Harper.Acylcarnitines: potential implications for skeletal muscle insulin resistance. 2015. 29(1): 336-45.
- C. Aguer, O. Fiehn, E.L. Seifert, V. Bézaire, J.K. Meissen, A. Daniels*, K. Scott, J.M. Renaud, M. Padilla, D.R. Bickel, M. Dysart, S.H. Adams, M.E. Harper. Muscle UCP3 overexpression mimics endurance training in revealing circulating biomarkers of beta-oxidation. Faseb J. 2013 Oct;27(10):4213-25.
- C. Aguer, M. Pasqua, C. Moffat, M. McBurney, K. Jardine, R. Zhang, B. Beauchamps, R. Dent, R. McPherson, M.E. Harper.Increased antioxidant defenses in myotubes from obese non-diabetic subjects with a family history of type 2 diabetes. BBA Molecular Basis of Disease. 2013. 1832(10):1624-1633.
- C. Aguer, M.E. Harper. Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Energetics in Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Endocrine Aspects. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012. 26(6):805-19.
- E.L. Seifert, M. Bastianelli, C. Aguer, C. Moffat, C. Estey, L.G. Koch, S.L. Britton, M.E. Harper. Intrinsec aerobic capacity correlates with inherent mitochondrial oxidative and H2O2 emission without major shifts in myosin heavy chain isoform. J Appl Physiol. 2012. 113(10):1624-34.
- C. Estey, E. L. Seifert, C. Aguer, C. Moffat, M.E. Harper. Effects of calorie restriction in mice overexpressing UCP3: evidence that adaptations to calorie restriction and mitochondrial uncoupling depend on distinct mechanisms. Exp Gerontol. 2012. 47(5):361-71.
- C. Aguer, D. Gambarotta, R.J. Mailloux, C. Moffat, R. Dent, R. McPherson, M.E. Harper. Galactose Enhances Oxidative Metabolism and Reveals Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Human Primary Muscle Cells. PLoS One. 2011. 6(12):e28536.
- C. Aguer, M. Foretz, L. Lantier, S. Hebrard, B. Viollet, J. Mercier, M. Kitzmann. Increased FAT/CD36 cycling and lipid accumulation in myotubes derived from obese type 2 diabetic patients. PLoS One. 2011. 6(12):e28981.
- R. J. Mailloux, T. Dumouchel, C. Aguer, R. deKemp, R. Beanlands, M.E. Harper. Hexokinase II acts through UCP3 to suppress mitochondrial reactive oxygen species production and maintain aerobic respiration. Biochem J. 2011. 437(2):301-11.
- R. J. Mailloux, E.L. Seifert, F. Bouillaud, C. Aguer, S. Collins, M.E. Harper. Glutathionylation acts as a control switch for uncoupling proteins UCP2 and UCP3. J Biol Chem, 2011. 286(24):21865-75.
- M. Kitzmann,L. Lantier,S. Hébrard,J. Mercier, M. Foretz,C. Aguer. Abnormal metabolism flexibility in response to high palmitate concentrations in myotubes derived from obese type 2 diabetic patients. BBA Molecular Basis of Disease. 2011. 1812(4):423-30.
- S.A. Crawford, S.R. Costford, C. Aguer, S.C. Thomas, R.A. deKemp, J.N. DaSilva, D. Lafontaine, M. Kendall, R. Dent, R.S. Beanlands, R. McPherson, M.E. Harper. Naturally occurring R225W mutation of the gene encoding AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)gamma(3) results in increased oxidative capacity and glucose uptake in human primary myotubes. Diabetologia. 2010. 53(9):1986-97.
- C. Aguer, J. Mercier, C.Y. Man, L. Metz, S. Bordenave, K. Lambert, E. Jean, L. Lantier, L. Bounoua, J.F. Brun, E. Raynaud de Mauverger, F. Andreelli, M. Foretz, M. Kitzmann. Intramyocellular lipid accumulation is associated with permanent relocalisation ex vivo and in vitro of fatty acid translocase (FAT)/CD36 in obese patients. Diabetologia. 2010. 53(6):1151-63.
- C. Aguer, O. Gavarry, Y. Gole, A. Boussuges, P. Doyard, G. Falgairette. A 5-month weight-reduction program positively alters body composition, aerobic fitness and habitual physical activity of severely obese girls: a pilot evaluation study. J Sports Sci. 2010. 28(3):281-9.
- C. Aguer, J. Mercier, M. Kitzmann.Lipid content and response to insulin are not invariably linked in human muscle cells. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010. 315(1-2):225-32.
- S. Bordenave, C. Aguer, M. Kitzmann, J. Mercier. Physical exercise and insulin resistance: from muscle metabolic physiopathology to therapeutics. J Soc Biol. 2007. 201(2):149-54.