Room: Roger Guindon Hall, Room 4160 (office), 4157 (lab)
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 7110
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Dr. Marc-André Langlois is a molecular virologist with a background in microbiology and immunology that studies the interplay between retroviruses (HIV) and host immune defenses. Dr. Langlois is a Full Professor at the University of Ottawa and the Canada Research Chair in Molecular Virology and Intrinsic Immunity. He is also a member of the College of the Royal Society of Canada. He is also the Executive Director of the CIHR Coronavirus Variant Rapid Response Network (CoVaRR-Net).
For the past 12 years, the main focus of Dr. Langlois laboratory has been to investigate host intrinsic immune defenses that have a dedicated role in restricting retroviral infection, such as HIV, and zoonosis. The main focus of his research is a family of host-encoded proteins called APOBEC3 (A3) that have the ability to potently mutate viral DNA and restrict retroviruses as well as some other types of viruses. With the onset of the current coronavirus pandemic, Dr. Langlois has re-tooled his lab and re-focused his research efforts to develop new diagnostic tools including serological assays, new therapeutics and a plant-derived nasal spray vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID19.
- Patrick M. D’Aoust, Élisabeth Mercier, Danika Montpetit, Jian-Jun Jia, Ilya Alexandrov, Nafisa Neault2, Aiman Tariq Baig, Janice Mayne, Xu Zhang, Tommy Alain, Marc-André Langlois, Mark R. Servos, Malcolm MacKenzie, Daniel Figeys, Alex E. MacKenzie, Tyson E. Graber, Robert Delatolla*. (2021). Quantitative analysis of SARS-CoV-2 RNA from wastewater solids in communities with low COVID-19 incidence and prevalence. Water Research. Jan 1(188): 116560.
- Younes Zaid, Florian Puh, Isabelle Allaeys, Abdallah Naya, Mounia Oudghiri, Loubna Khalki, Youness Limami, Nabil Zaid, Khalid Sadki, Rafiqua Ben El Haj, Wissal Maher, Belayachi Lamiae, Bouchra Belefquih, Amina Benouda, Amine Cheikh, Yves Durocher, Marc-André Langlois, Yahia Cherrah, Louis Flamand, Fadila Guessous ,Eric Boilard. (2020). Platelets can associate with SARS-CoV-2 RNA and are hyperactivated in COVID-19. Circulation Research. 120(317703).
- Tyler Milston Renner, Vera A. Tang, Dylan Burger Marc-André Langlois. (2020). Intact Viral Particle Counts Measured by Flow Virometry Provides Insight into the Infectivity and Genome Packaging Efficiency of the Moloney Murine Leukemia Virus. Journal of Virology. Jan 6(94 (2)): 1-17.
- Joshua A. Welsh, Edwin van der Pol, David R. F. Carter, An Hendrix, Metka Lenassi, Marc-André Langlois, Alicia Martinez Llorente, Rienk Nieuwland, Vera Tang, Kenneth W. Witwer, Jennifer C. Jones. (2020). Towards defining reference materials for measuring extracellular vesicle refractive index, epitope abundance, size and concentration. Journal of Extracellular Vesicles. 9(1816641)
- Galipeau, Yannick Matthew Greig George Liu Matthew Driedger Marc-André langlois. (2020). Humoral Responses and Serological Assays in SARS-CoV-2 Infections. Frontiers in Immunology. Dec 18(11): 610688.
- Gobeil Odai, K., O'Dwyer, C., Steenbergen, R., Shaw, T.A., Renner, T.M., Ghorbani, P., Rezaaifar, M., Han, S., Langlois, M.A., Crawley, A.M., Russell, R.S., Pezacki, J.P., Tyrrell, D.L., Fullerton, M.D. (2020). In vitro hepatitis C virus infection and hepatic choline metabolism.Viruses. Jan 16(12 (1)): 1-14.
- Brittain, G.C. Chen, Y.Q. Martinez, E. Renner, T.M. Tang, V.A. Langlois, M.A. Gulnik, S. (2019). A Novel Semiconductor-Based Flow Cytometer with Enhanced Light-Scatter Sensitivity for the Analysis of Submicron-Sized Particles. Scientific Reports. Nov 5(9: 16039): 1-13. Published
- Ruzicka, M Xiao, F Abujrad, H Al-Rewashdy, Y Tang, V.A. Langlois, M.A. Sorisky, A. Ooi, T.C. Burger, D. (2019). Effect of hemodialysis on extracellular vesicles and circulating submicron particles. BMC Nephrology. 20(294): 1-8. Published
- Tang, V.A., Renner, T.M., Fritzsche, A. and Langlois, M.A. (2017). Single-Particle Discrimination of Retroviruses from Extracellular Vesicles by NanoScale Flow Cytometry. Nature Scientific Reports. 7: 17769.
- Tang, V.A Renner, T.M. Varette, O. Wang, J. Le Boeuf, F. Diallo, J.S. Bell, J.C. and Langlois, M.A. (2016). Single-Particle Characterization of Oncolytic Vaccinia Virus by Flow Virometry. Vaccine. 34: 5082-5089
- Bélanger, K. and Langlois, M.A. (2015) Comparative Analysis of the Gene-Inactivating Potential of Retroviral Restriction Factors APOBEC3F and APOBEC3G. Journal of General Virology. Sep;96(9):2878-87.
- Rosales Gerpe, M.C., Renner, T.M., Bélanger, K., Lam, C., Aydin, H., and Langlois, M.A.(2015) N-Linked Glycosylation Protects Gammaretroviruses Against Deamination by APOBEC3 Proteins. Journal of Virology. Feb; 89 (4): 2342-57
- Bélanger, K. and Langlois, M.A.(2015) RNA-Binding Residues in the N-Terminus of APOBEC3G Influence its DNA Sequence Specificity and Retrovirus Restriction Efficiency. Virology. Volume 483, Sept. 2015, Pages 141-148
- Bélanger, K., Savoie, M., Aydin, H., Renner, M.T., Montazeri, Z. and Langlois, M.A. (2014) Deamination intensity profiling of human APOBEC3 protein activity along the near full-length genomes of HIV-1 and MoMLV by HyperHRM analysis. Virology. Volume 448, 5 January 2014, Pages 168–175
- Bélanger, K., Savoie, M., Couture, J.F., and Langlois, M.A. (2013) Binding of RNA by APOBEC3G Controls Deamination-Independent Restriction of Retroviruses. Nucleic Acids Research. Aug 1; 41(15):7438-52.
- Langlois, M.A. (2010) Mother’s Milks and Intrinsic Immunity. Cell Host and Microbe. Dec; 8 (6): 467-469.
- Langlois, M.A., Kemmerich, K, Rada,C and Neuberger, M.S. (2009) The AKV murine leukemia virus is restricted and hypermutated by mouse APOBEC3. Journal of Virology, November, 83(22): 430 - 439
- Langlois, M.A. and Neuberger, M.S. (2008) Human APOBEC3G can restrict Infection in avian cells and acts independently of both UNG and SMUG1. Journal of Virology. May, 82 (9): 4660-4664.
- Takeda, E., Tsuji-Kawahara, S., Sakamoto, Langlois, M.A., Neuberger, M.S., Rada, C. and Miyazawa, M. (2008) Mouse APOBEC3 restricts Friend leukaemia virus infections and pathogenesis in vivo. Journal of Virology. Nov; 82(22):10998-1008.
- Conticello, S.G., Langlois, M.A. and Neuberger, M.S. (2007) Insights into DNA deaminases. Nature Structural and Molecular Biology. Jan; 14(1): 7-9.
- Langlois, M.A., Beale, R.C., Conticello, S.G., and Neuberger, M.S. (2005) Mutational comparaison of the single-domained APOBEC3C and double-domained APOBEC3F/3G antiretroviral cytidine deaminases provides insight into their DNA target site specificities. Nucleic Acids Research. April 4, 33 (6): 1913-1923.
- Conticello, S.G., Langlois, M.A., Yang, Z. and Neuberger, M.S. (2007) In Advances in Immunology. Elsevier Inc. DNA Deamination in Immunity: Aid in the Context of Its APOBEC Relatives. 94:37-73. Review.