Adjunct Professor, Research Scientist, Health Canada
Room: 251 Sir Frederick Banting Driveway, Rm E401
Work E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Nasheri’s research focuses on detection, characterization, and inactivation of foodborne viruses such as norovirus, hepatitis A virus, and hepatitis E virus. More recently, Dr. Nasheri’s team is working on examining potential risk for fecal-oral transmission of certain respiratory viruses such as human coronaviruses. Currently Dr. Nasheri is the head of the Food Virology Reference/Research at Health Canada.
The following are the highlights of her research activities:
- Developing methods for the detection of foodborne viruses
- Performing genomic characterization of foodborne viruses
- Exploring novel inactivation methods and approaches
- Tracing reservoirs for transmission of enteric viruses in foods
- Food Virology Reference Centre for Canada (FVRC)
- Nasheri N, Harlow J, Chen, A, Corneau N, Bidawid S. Survival and Inactivation of Foodborne Viruses in Low Moisture Foods. (in press, Food Microbiology)
- Nasheri N, Doctor T, Chen A, Harlow J, Gill A. 2020. Evaluation of High-Pressure Processing (HPP) in inactivation of the Hepatitis E Virus. Frontiers in Microbiology. 24;11:461
- Nasheri N, Harlow J, Chen A, Corneau N, Bidawid S. 2020 Evaluation of Bead-Based Assays in the Isolation of Foodborne Viruses from Low-Moisture Foods. Food Protection 83(3):388
- Nasheri N, Verster A, Petronella. 2019. Persistence and transmission of pathogenic enteric viruses in frozen produce. Epidemiology & Infection 147, e291,
- Suresh M, Harlow J, Nasheri N. 2019. Evaluation of porcine gastric mucin assay for detection and quantification of human norovirus in fresh herbs and leafy vegetables. Food Microbiology 84:103254
- Petronella P, Ronholm J, Suresh M, Harlow J, Myckytczuk O, Corneau N, Bidawid S, Nasheri N. 2018. Genetic characterization of norovirus GII.4 variants circulating in Canada using a metagenomic technique. BMC Infectious Diseases. 18(1):521
- Mykytczuk O, Harlow J, Bidawid S, Corneau N, Nasheri N. 2017. Prevalence and molecular characterization of the hepatitis E virus in retail pork products marketed in Canada. Food and Environmental Virology. 9(2):208-218
- Nasheri N, Ronholm J, Petronella N, Bidawid S, Corneau N. 2017. Characterization of the genomic diversity of norovirus in linked patients using a metagenomics deep sequencing approach. Frontiers in Microbiology 8:73
- Ronholm, J. Nasheri, N. Petronella, N, Pagotto F. 2016. Navigating microbiological food safety in the era of whole genome sequencing. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 29(4):837-857
- Nasheri N, Ning Z, Figeys D, Goto N, Pezacki JP. 2015. Activity-based profiling of the proteasome pathway during hepatitis C virus infection. Proteomics. 5(22):3815-3825
- Desrochers GF, Sherratt AR, Blais DR, Nasheri N, Ning Z, Figeys D, Pezacki JP. 2015. Profiling kinase activity during hepatitis C virus replication using a Wortmannin probe. ACS Infectious Diseases. 1 (9): 443–452
- Nasheri N, McKay CS, Fulton K, Twine S, Powdrill MH, Pezacki JP. 2014. Hydrophobic triaryl-substituted β-lactams as activity-based probes for profiling eukaryotic enzymes and host–pathogen interactions. ChemBioChem. 15(15): 2195-2200. The article was chosen for the cover.
- Sherratt AR, Nasheri N, McKay CS, O'Hara S, Hunt A, Ning Z, Figeys D, Pezacki JP. 2014. A new chemical probe for phosphatidylinositol kinase activity. Chembiochem. 15(9):1253-1256
- Singaravelu R, Chen R, Lyn RK, Jones DM, O'Hara S, Rouleau Y, Cheng J, Srinivasan P, Nasheri N, Russell RS, Tyrrell LD, Pezacki JP. 2013. Hepatitis C virus induced up-regulation of microRNA-27: A novel mechanism for hepatic steatosis. Hepatology, 59(1):98-108. The article was chosen for the cover.
- Nasheri N, Joyce M, Rouleau Y, Yao S, Tyrrell L, Pezacki JP. 2013. Modulation of fatty acid synthase enzyme activity and expression during hepatitis C virus replication. Chemistry and Biology, 20(4):570-582. The article was chosen for the cover.
- Singaravelu R, Nasheri N, Sherratt A, Pezacki JP. 2012. Systems biology methods help develop a better understanding of HCV-induced liver injury. Hepatology, 56(1):1-4
- Blais D, Nasheri N, McKay C, Legault M, Pezacki JP. 2012. Activity-based protein profiling of host-virus interactions. Trends in Biotechnology, 30(2):89-99
- Cheng J, Danielson D, Nasheri N, Singaravelu R, Pezacki JP. 2011. Enhanced specificity of the viral suppressor of RNA silencing protein P19 towards sequestering of human microRNA-122. Biochemistry, 50(36): 7745-7755
- Nasheri N, Cheng J, Singaravelu R, Wu P, McDermott M, Pezacki JP. 2011. A novel enzyme-linked assay for miRNAs involving the viral suppressor of RNA silencing p19. Analytical Biochemistry, 412(2):165-172
- Nasheri N, Singaravelu R, Goodmurphy M, Lyn R, Pezacki JP. 2011. Competing roles of microRNA-122 recognition elements in hepatitis C virus RNA. Virology, 410(2):336-344
- Sagan SM, Nasheri N, Luebbert C, Pezacki JP. 2010. The Efficacy of siRNAs against Hepatitis C Virus is strongly influenced by structure and target site accessibility. Chemistry and Biology, 17(5):515-527