Adjunct Professor, Senior Science Advisor, and Head of the Metabolomics Group, University of Ottawa
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Drug Metabolism, Pharmacogenetics and Nutraceuticals
Dr. Foster is a member of the Digestive Diseases Research Group and is part of the Nutraceutical Research Programme. The focus of research in this laboratory will be on factors which affect human drug metabolism and the potential effect of pharmaceuticals or nutraceuticals using genetically engineered microsomes and cell lines. Recent studies have examined cytochrome P450 CYP2D6 and CYP3A4 adverse drug interactions with anti-retroviral agents such as ritonavir and saquinavir with several other prescription and non-prescription products taken by patients with HIV/AIDS including tonic water (quinine) and garlic. Dr. Foster has conducted pharmacogenetic investigations of genetic polymorphisms in Canadian Inuit and will continue studies on the pharmacogenetic basis of adverse drug reactions.
- CYP2C19 genotyping and associated mephenytoin hydroxylation polymorphism in a Canadian Inuit population. Jurima Romet, M., Goldstein, J.A., LeBelle, M., Aubin, R., Foster, B.C., Walop, W., and Rode, A. Pharmacogenetics, 6, 329 339. 1996.
- Budzinski, J., Foster, B. C., Vandenhoek, S., and Arnason, J. An In Vitro Evaluation of Human Cytochrome P450 3A4 Inhibition by Selected Commercial
- Herbal Extracts and Tinctures. Phytomedicine. 7(4):273-282. 2000.
- Khaliq, Y, Gallicano, K., Leger, R., Foster, B., Badley, A. A drug interaction between fusidic acid and a combination of ritonavir and saquinavir. Br. J.Clin.Pharmacol. 50:81-83, 2000.
- Gallicano K, Carignan, G., Oliveras, Khaliq, Y., and Foster, B. C* Simultaneous measurement by HPLC with UV detection four protease inhibitors in plasma and urine from HIV infected individuals - application to therapeutic drug monitoring, 6 International Congress of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Clinical Toxicology, Cairns, Australia, September 13-17, 1999.
- Foster, B. C*, Vandenhoek, S., Li, K. Y., Tang, R., and Krantis, A. Effect of Chinese Herbal Products on Cytochrome P-450 Drug Metabolism, Canadian Association for HIV Research, April 27-30, 2000. Montreal, Quebec. Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 11 (supp. B),144P, 2000.
- Budzinski, J., Foster, B. C.*, Vandenhoek, S., and Arnason, J. Cytochrome P-450 3A4 inhibition of drug metabolism by tinctures of natural health products. Canadian Association for HIV Research, April 27-30, 2000. Montreal, Quebec. 2000.Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 11 (supp. B), 145P, 2000.
- Foster, B.C.*, Vandenhoek, S., Budzinski, J., Arnason, J.T., Akhtar, H., Bryan, M., and Krantis, A. Soybeans Can Effect Human Cytochrome P450
- Mediated Metabolism. Canadian Federation of Biological Sciences, Ottawa, June 2000.
- Foster, B.C.*, Vandenhoek, S., Budzinski, J., Arnason, J.T., Gallicano, K.D., Choudri, S., and Krantis, A. Effect of Garlic on Cytochrome P450 Mediated
- Drug Metabolism. Canadian Federation of Biological Sciences, Ottawa, June 2000.
- Choudri, S.*, Gallicano, K.D., and Foster, B.C. Effect of garlic formulation on the single dose pharmacokinetics of ritonavir. Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (ICAAC), Toronto, Sept 16-20, 2000.