The necessary information and forms may be obtained by contacting the Division of Clinical and Functional Anatomy at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine or by printing the forms from this site.
These forms should be completed and mailed/delivered to the Faculty of Medicine:
Anatomy Act – Province of Ontario:
Part I (by you, the donor in advance) OR
Part II (by your next-of-kin or executor after death)
Abbreviated Surgical History
You should retain a copy of the first form for your records, and have it readily available to your next-of-kin/executor. You are strongly advised to discuss your wishes with your next-of-kin/executor, since they must approve the body donation at the time of death.
Arrangements at the Time of Death
Your next-of-kin/executor must contact a funeral home of their choice. The funeral director will then contact the Division of Clinical and Functional Anatomy at the following numbers:
Monday to Friday (9am to 4pm):
After Working Hours, on Weekends or Holidays:
If the death occurs after working hours or on weekends, please leave a message and someone will return your call during regular working business hours. If the death occurs during the holidays, our staff will return the call whenever possible
This process needs to take place within 72 hours following the death.
If your body is deemed acceptable for anatomical studies and space is available, your next-of-kin/executor or the funeral home representative will make the necessary arrangements for transportation of your body to the University of Ottawa. Transportation costs and all related paperwork are the responsibility of your estate or your next-of-kin/executor, and will be billed accordingly by the funeral home.
Although bodies donated to the University of Ottawa are usually accepted, the Division of Clinical and Functional Anatomy reserves the right to refuse a body. This decision is seriously considered, but in certain circumstances it is not possible to accept a body; therefore, we recommend that suitable alternative arrangements be made prior to death.
Some of the possible reasons for refusal of a body include:
- Contagious disease
- Death by accident involving major trauma, or by suicide
- A body upon which an autopsy has been performed
- Space limitation in the Anatomy Division
- If organs have been removed for transplantation. The sole exception is the eyes – we will accept bodies from which the eyes have been donated. Please contact the Trillium Gift of Life Network at 1-877-363-8456 for more information.
- Paper copy by mail: If you would like to receive a paper copy of our body donation information package by mail, please fill out the Body Donation Forms and one will be mailed to you. We send packages once a week.
- PDF version by email: If you would like to receive a PDF version of this package by email, please contact email@example.com and one will be sent to you.
- Fill out the forms and submit online: If you would like to fill out the forms online and submit them right away, please download and complete the Body Donation Program – Fillable form and click the submit button.
- We have placed additional information here.