The regional Sexual Assault and Partner Abuse Care Program (SAPACP) of The Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus was established in 1994 and is a partner of the Ontario Provincial Network of SA/DV treatment centres (www.satcontario.com).
The SAPACP is a team of specialized health professionals who are available on site, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. As a team we provide private and confidential trauma sensitive medical care to any person 16 years of age and older who has experienced sexual or intimate partner violence in our greater Ottawa region.
In addition to our acute 24/7 service we provide a comprehensive outpatient clinic that is lead by our SAPACP designated Nurse Practitioner. Outpatient services are accessible by self referral, referral by health professional and/or our community partners. Please fax referral to 613- 761-4985 or call 613-798-5555 x 13770 to book an appointment.
Together with our community partners, we work to meet the medical, emotional, social, forensic and legal needs of individuals who have suffered the consequences of sexual and/or intimate partner violence.
All services provided are confidential. We do not disclose your visit to the police unless you request this support
We are a collaborative multidisciplinary trauma-informed medical team prepared to care for you one-on-one in a private, confidential space. We provide a compassionate, non-judgmental and self empowering approach to care for all people using our services. Upon your request your care will be initiated within one hour of arrival to the emergency department at the Civic Campus.
Patients may choose any of the following services as part of their care.
Health Care Services
- Injury Assessment, documentation and treatment of injuries
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing
- Emergency contraception (Plan B)
- Pregnancy testing
- Post exposure prophylaxis for HIV (HIV PEP)
- Immunization for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis A, Gardasil (as provincially funded)
- Photo documentation of injuries
- Crisis counselling
- Safety planning
- Risk/Threat Assessment
- Referral for trauma counselling (liaisoned by our community partner Ottawa Victim Services)
- Collection and storage of the Sexual Assault Evidence Kit (with or without police involvement)
- Anonymous reporting to police
SAPACP Outpatient Clinic
There are many short term and long term consequences to being a victim of sexual assault and intimate partner violence. Our outpatient clinic provides ongoing trauma sensitive medical care for up to 3 months from initial visit.
In addition to our 24/7 list of services above, follow up care in our outpatient specialty clinic provides an opportunity to screen and manage potential short term and long term consequences. Examples include:
- Emergency contraception in form of Copper IUD insertion
- Management and further prescriptions of HIV PEP
- Serial assessment of injuries (ex strangulation), referral to MD where applicable
- Photo documentation of injuries
- Pain management
- Mental health assessments with screening for depression and post traumatic stress disorder.
- Diagnosis and medical management of depression, anxiety, PTSD.
- Follow up assessment, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases (HSV, HPV, Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea.
- Prescriptions and counselling options for birth control – IUD insertion for Mirena/Jaydess, Depo Provera injections.
- Referral/collaborative care with specialists – head injury clinic, ORTHO, ENT, Neuro etc
- Crisis intervention
Program Director: Kari Sampsel