Dr. Michael Austin MD, FRCPC
Dr. Michael Austin MD, FRCPC
Director Prehospital Transport Medicine (PTM) and Assistant Professor
University of Tasmania, Australia 2008
University of Ottawa – RCPSC Emergency Medicine and
Fellowship Emergency Medical Services and Disaster Medicine Sub Specialty
Current Work Location
The Ottawa Hospital – General and Civic Campus and
Thunder Bay Regional Health Science Centre
- Wood-Baker R, Walters EH, Blizzard L, Austin M. Prehospital oxygen therapy in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Intern. Med. J.2012;42(2):229-30.
- Austin MA, Wills KE, Walters EH, Blizzard L, Woodbaker R. Effect of high flow oxygen on mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients in prehospital setting: Randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2010 Oct 18; 341:c5462. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c5462)
- Austin MA, Wood-Baker R, Walters, JEA, Khor, Y. Combined corticosteroid and long-acting beta-agonist in one inhaler for chronic asthma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews submitted March 2009
- Austin MA and Amarasena, I. Oxygen versus air for nebulising beta-agonist bronchodilators in acute asthma.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews submitted March 2009
- Austin MA, Wood-Baker R. Oxygen therapy in the pre-hospital setting for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD005534. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005534.pub2
- Austin MA, Kilpatrick, D, Walters, EH, Gibson, M and Wills KE. Effect of continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) on mortality in the treatment of acute cardiogenic pulmonary oedema (ACPO) in the pre-hospital setting: Randomised controlled trial. Submitted awaiting response.
- Sinclair J, Dionne R, Froats M, Vaillacourt C, Reed A, Leduc S and Austin M. Predictors of hospital admission of hypoglycemia patients treated by paramedics. Pre-hospital Emergency Care (Abstract) 2/2016. Impact Factor 1.25.
- Sinclair J, Dionne R, Froats M, Vaillacourt C, Reed A, Leduc S and Austin M. Predictors of repeat access to EMS or Emergency Departments of hypoglycemia patients treated by paramedics with-in 72 hours. CJEM (Abstract) 6/2015. Impact Factor 1.16.
- RM Sutton, E Case, SP Brown, DL Atkins, VM Nadkarni, J Kaltman, MA Austin, ... A quantitative analysis of out-of-hospital pediatric and adolescent resuscitation quality–A report from the ROC epistry-cardiac arrest, Resuscitation 93, 150-157, 2015. Impact factor 4.17. Role: ROC Ottawa representative and lead.
- JA Tijssen, DK Prince, LJ Morrison, DL Atkins, MA Austin, R Berg, ... Time on the scene and interventions are associated with improved survival in pediatric out-of-hospital cardiac arrest, Resuscitation 94, 1-7, 2015. Impact factor 4.17. Role: ROC Ottawa representative and lead.
- CD Newgard, EN Meier, B McKnight, IR Drennan, D Richardson, MA Austin. Understanding traumatic shock: Out-of-hospital hypotension with and without other physiologic compromise, Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery 78 (2), 342-351, 2015. Impact factor 2.74. ROC Ottawa representative and lead.
- MC Kurz, DK Prince, J Christenson, J Carlson, D Stub, MA Austin, ... Association of advanced airway device with chest compression fraction during out-of-hospital cardiopulmonary arrest, Resuscitation 98, 35-40. 2015. Impact factor 4.17. ROC Ottawa representative and lead.
- J Elmer, C Torres, TP Aufderheide, MA Austin, CW Callaway, E Golan, ... Early Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Therapy for Perceived Neurological Prognosis is Associated With Excess Mortality After Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Circulation 132 (Suppl 3), A15131-A15131. 2015. Impact factor 14.43. ROC Ottawa representative and lead.
- IR Drennan, E Case, JC Reynolds, ZD Goldberger, H Herren, MA Austin, ... An Observational Analysis of Termination of Resuscitation in the Out-of-Hospital Setting. Circulation 130 (Suppl 2), A54-A54. 2015. Impact factor 14.43. ROC Ottawa representative and lead.
- Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians (CAEP)/Kingston Resuscitation Institute, 2013 Simulation Olympiad 1st Place Award($2000): CAEP 2013 Annual Conference, Leadership from Sky to Sky. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. June 1st-5th 2013
- Australia Evidence into Practice – Best Paper ($1000), Emergency Care Institute (ECI) New South Wales for the paper Effect of CPAP on mortality in the treatment of ACPO in the pre-hospital setting – RCT. Australialasian College for Emergency Medicine Annual Scientific Meeting, The Art of Science of Emergency Medicine, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia Nov 19-22nd, 2012
- University of Ottawa PSI Resident Research Prize ($2000) (for High flow oxygen increases mortality in COPD patients in the pre-hospital setting: a RCT), Physician Service Inc. University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario Canada
- CAEP Resident Research Abstract Award ($500 and registration fees to CAEP) (for A randomized clinical trial of CPAP in the treatment of ACPE patients in the pre-hospital setting), CAEP 2011 annual conference in St John’s, Newfoundland
- Young Investigator Award ($500) (for High flow oxygen increases mortality in COPD patients in the pre-hospital setting: a RCT), Tasmania Branch Thoracic Society of Australian and New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting
- Excellence Award for RCT comparing titrated oxygen verus high flow oxygen therapy for AMI pre-hospital setting), Council of Ambulance Authorities Inc
- Initiative Award (for High flow oxygen increases mortality in COPD patients in the pre-hospital setting: a RCT), Council of Ambulance Authorities Inc
- Dr Kenneth Douglas McConnell Scholarship ($5000), University of Tasmania
- Charite Interdisciplinary Emergency Medicine Scholarship ($9000), University of Charite Berlin, Germany
- William and Beatrice Taylor Scholarship (Honours) ($5000), University of Tasmania
- Australian Cochrane Airways Group Network Scholarship ($2500), Cochrane Collaboration
- David Gibson and Bruce McDonald Prize (Respiratory Medicine) ($250), Tasmanian Branch Thoracic Society of Australian and New Zealand