Dr. Warren Cheung MD, MMEd, FRCPC
Dr. Warren Cheung MD, MMEd, FRCPC
Associate Director of Education Innovation | Director of Assessment | Chair, FRCPC Competence Committee | Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa, Department of Emergency Medicine
Room: The Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, Room F660b
Office: 613-798-5555 ext. 17196
- University of Toronto, 2014
- University of Ottawa - RCPSC, Emergency Medicine Residency Program, 2014
- University of Ottawa - DIME Medical Education Research Fellowship, 2015
Formal Roles in the Department
- Associate Director Education Innovation
- Director of Assessment
- Chair, Clinical Competency Committee (FRCPC Program)
- Spending time with family
- Keeping up with the latest in mobile technology
- Hiking, ultimate frisbee, volleyball
- Odorzzi S, Cheung WJ, Thurgur L, Lee C, Sherbino J, Frank JR. A Signal Through the Noise: Do Professionalism Concerns Impact the Decision-Making of Competence Committees? Acad Med. 2020; 95(6):896-901.
- Thoma B, Hall A, Clark K, Meshkat N, Cheung WJ, Desaulnier P, ffrench C, Meiwald A, Meyers C, Patocka C, Beatty L, Chan TM. Evaluation of a national competency-based assessment system in emergency medicine: A CanDREAM Study, JGME. 2020 [accepted]
- Prudhomme N, O’Brien M, McConnell M, Dudek N, Cheung WJ. The relationship between ratings of performance in the simulated and workplace environments among emergency medicine residents. CJEM. 2020 [accepted]
- Wong MKY, Jiang M, Medor MC, Labre KY, Frank JR, Fischer LM, Cheung WJ. Does the public feel prepared to be substitute decisions-makers? Gaps in preparedness and support for a high school curriculum: a national survey. Age Ageing. 2020 May 27 [Epub ahead of print]
- Bhanji F, Miller G, Cheung WJ, Puligandla PS, Winthrop A, Baird R, Davies Dafydd, Lopushinsky SR, Webber E. A Call to Action: Pediatric Surgery and the Move to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada’s Competence by Design. J Pediatr Surg. 2020 Jan 31 [Epub ahead of print]
- Schouela N, Woo MY, Pan A, Cheung WJ, Perry JJ. Perceived versus Actual Cricothyroid Membrane Landmarking Accuracy by Emergency Medicine Residents and Staff Physicians. CJEM. 2020 Feb 10 [Epub ahead of print]
- Cheung WJ, Wood TJ, Gofton W, Dewhirst S, Dudek NL. The Ottawa Emergency Department Shift Observation Tool (O-EDShOT): A New Tool for Assessing Resident Competence in the Emergency Department. AEM Educ Train. 2019 Nov 20 [Epub ahead of print]
- Cheung WJ, Chan TM, Hauer KE, Woods RA, McEwen J, Martin LJ, Patocka C, Dong SL, Bhimani M, McColl T. CAEP 2019 Academic Symposium: Got competence? Best practices in trainee progression decisions. CJEM. 2019; 22(2): 187-193.
- Landreville JM, Cheung WJ, Frank JR, Richardson D. A Definition for Coaching in Medical Education. CMEJ. 2019; 10(4): e109-e110.
- Parks AR, Eagles D, Yipeng G, Stiell I, Cheung WJ. Barriers and Enablers that Influence Guideline-Based Care of Geriatric Falls Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department. Emerg Med J. 2019; 36(12):741-747.
- Wong MKY, Medor MC, Labre KY, Jiang M, Frank JR, Fischer LM, Cheung WJ. Gaps in public preparedness to be a substitute decision-maker and the acceptability of high school education on resuscitation and end-of-life care: a mixed-methods study. CMAJ Open. 2019;7(3):E573-E581.
- Landreville JM, Cheung WJ, Hamelin A, Frank JR. Entrustment Checkpoint: Clinical Supervisors’ Perceptions of the Emergency Department Oral Case Presentation. Teach Learn Med. 2019; 31(3):250-257.
- Cheung WJ, Patey A, Boet S, Mackay M, Frank JR. Barriers and Enablers to Direct Observation of Clinical Performance – A Qualitative Study Using the Theoretical Domains Framework. Acad Med 2019;94(1):101-114.
- Fernando SM, Cheung WJ, Choi SB, Thurgur L, Frank JR. Faculty Mentorship During Residency and Professional Development Among Practicing Emergency Physicians. CJEM. 2018 Nov;20(6):944-951.
- Stiell IG, Scheuermeyer FX, Vadeboncoeur A, Angaran P, Eagles D, Graham ID, Atzema CL, Archambault PM, Tebbenham T, deWit K, McRae AD, Cheung WJ, Deyell MW, Baril G, Mann R, Sahsi R, Upadhye S, Clement C, Brinkhurst J, Chabot C, Gibbons D, Skanes A. CAEP Acute Atrial Fibrillation/Flutter Best Practices Checklist. CJEM. 2018; 20(3):334-342.
- Cheung WJ, Dudek NL, Wood TJ, Frank JR. Supervisor-trainee continuity and the quality of work-based assessments. Med Educ. 2017;51(12):1260-8.
- Frank JR, Cheung WJ, Sherbino J, Primavesi R, Woods RA, Bandiera G, LeBlanc C. CAEP 2016 Academic Symposium: How to have an impact as an emergency medicine educator and scholar. CJEM. 2017 May;19(S1):S16-S21.
- Cheung WJ, Dudek N, Wood TJ, Frank JR. Daily Encounter Cards – Evaluating the Quality of Documented Assessments. J Grad Med Educ 2016;8(4):601–4.
- Cheung WJ, Rosenberg H, Vaillancourt C. Barriers and Facilitators to Intraosseous Access in Adult Resuscitations When Peripheral Intravenous Access Is Not Achievable. Acad Emerg Med 2014;21(3):250–6.
- Cheung WJ, Cload BWA, Kubelik D. Why is my arm swollen ? Can J Emerg Med 2013;15(2):116–8.
- Rosenberg H, Cheung WJ. Intraosseous access. Can Med Assoc J 2012;185(5):E238.
- Cheung WJ, Kent MH, El-shahat E, et al. Central and peripheral renin-angiotensin systems in ouabain-induced hypertension. Am J Physiol - Hear Circ Physiol 2006;291(2):H624–30.
- Huang BS, Cheung WJ, Wang H, Tan J, White RA, Leenen HH. Activation of brain renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system by central sodium in Wistar rats. Am J Physiol - Hear Circ Physiol 2006;291(3):H1109–17.
Awards you would like shown
- Mikhael Award for Medical Education, Resident Doctors of Canada (RDoC) (2019)
- Top Education Innovation Award, Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians (2019)
- Junior Clinical Research Chair in Medical Education, University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, 2016-2019
- Top 3 Research Papers, International Conference on Residency Education (2016)
- Best Oral Presentation, Meredith Marks Medical Education Research Day (2016)
- FRCPC Resident Educator of the Year Award, University of Ottawa Department of Emergency Medicine (2013)
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence, University of Ottawa, 2013