Dr. Justin Maloney MD, CCFP-EM, FRCPC
Dr. Justin Maloney MD, CCFP-EM, FRCPC
EMS Fellowship Director and Associate Professor
Dr. Maloney graduated medical school in 1971 at the University of Ottawa. He is currently an attending emergency physician at The Ottawa Hospital. In addition to clinical duties, his roles include providing medical direction to the paramedics of Eastern Ontario.
He is an associate professor with the University of Ottawa, Department of Emergency Medicine and his academic interests focus on prehospital care and emergency preparedness.
Dr. Maloney is proud to have served as Medical Director of the ACT foundation, responsible for CPR training for almost 3 million Canadian high school students.
University of Ottawa, 1971
Ottawa Civic Hospital
Montreal General Hospital
- Michel Le May, George Wells, Derek So, Chris Glover, Michael Froeschl, Justin Maloney, Richard Dionne, et al.; Reduction in Mortality as a Result of Direct Transport From the Field to a Receiving Center for Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention; J Am Coll Cardiol; October 2, 2012; Vol. 60; No. 14;:1223-30.
- Vaillancourt C, Charette M, Kasaboski A, Maloney J, Wells GA, Stiell IG. Evaluation of the safety of C-spine clearance by paramedics: design and methodology. BMC Emerg Med. 2011 Feb 1;11(1):1.
- Le May MR, Dionne R, Maloney J, Poirier P. The role of paramedics in a primary PCI program for ST-elevation myocardial infarction. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2010 Nov-Dec;53(3):183-7.
- Weisfeldt ML, Sitlani CM, Ornato JP, Rea T, Aufderheide TP, Davis D, Dreyer J, Hess EP, Jui J, Maloney J, Sopko G, Powell J, Nichol G, Morrison LJ; ROC Investigators. Survival after application of automatic external defibrillators before arrival of the emergency medical system: evaluation in the resuscitation outcomes consortium population of 21 million. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Apr 20;55(16):1713-20.
- Tam RK, Maloney J, Gaboury I, Verdon JM, Trickett J, Leduc SD, Poirier P. Review of endotracheal intubations by Ottawa advanced care paramedics in Canada. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2009 Jul-Sep;13(3):311-5
- Vaillancourt C, Stiell IG, Beaudoin T, Maloney J, Anton AR, Bradford P, Cain E, Travers A, Stempien M, Lees M, Munkley D, Battram E, Banek J, Wells GA. The Out-of-Hospital Validation of the Canadian C-Spine Rule by Paramedics. Ann Emerg Med. 2009 Nov;54(5):663-671Apr 23.
- Spaite DW, Stiell IG, Bobrow BJ, de Boer M, Maloney J, Denninghoff K, Vadeboncoeur TF, Dreyer J, Wells GA. Effect of transport interval on out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survival in the OPALS study: implications for triaging patients to specialized cardiac arrest centers. Ann Emerg Med. 2009 Aug;54(2):248-55.
- Stiell IG, Nesbitt LP, Nichol G, Maloney J, Dreyer J, Beaudoin T, Blackburn J, Wells GA; OPALS Study Group. Comparison of the Cerebral Performance Category score and the Health Utilities Index for survivors of cardiac arrest. Ann Emerg Med. 2009 Feb;53(2):241-248.
- Spaite DW, Stiell IG, Bobrow BJ, de Boer M, Maloney J, Denninghoff K, Vadeboncoeur TF, Dreyer J, Wells GA: Impact of Longer Transport on Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Survival: Implications for Regionalizing Post-Resuscitation Care. Academic Emerg Med 2008;15 (Suppl 1):S71-S72.
- Stiell IG, Nesbitt LP, Pickett W, Munkley D, Spaite DW, Banek J, Field B, Luinstra-Toohey L, Maloney J, Dreyer J, Lyver M, Campeau T, Wells GA; OPALS Study Group. The OPALS Major Trauma Study: impact of advanced life-support on survival and morbidity. CMAJ. 2008 Apr 22;178(9):1141-52.
- Le May MR, So DY, Dionne R, Glover CA, Froeschl MP, Wells GA, Davies RF, Sherrard HL, Maloney J, Marquis JF, O'Brien ER, Trickett J, Poirier P, Ryan SC, Ha A, Joseph PG, Labinaz M. A citywide protocol for primary PCI in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med. 2008 Jan 17;358(3):231-40.
- Stiell IG, Spaite DW, Field B, Nesbitt LP, Munkley D, Maloney J, Dreyer J, Toohey LL, Campeau T, Dagnone E, Lyver M, Wells GA; OPALS Study Group. Advanced life support for out-of-hospital respiratory distress. N Engl J Med. 2007 May 24;356(21):2156-64.
- Michel R. Le May, MD, Richard F. Davies, MD, Richard Dionne, MD, Justin Maloney, MD, John Trickett, RN, Derek So, MD, Andrew Ha, MD, Heather Sherrard, RN, Chris Glover, MD, Jean-François Marquis, MD, Edward R. O’Brien, MD, Ian G. Stiell, MD, Pierre Poirier, ACP, and Marino Labinaz, MD. Comparison of Early Mortality of Paramedic-Diagnosed ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction With Immediate Transport to a Designated Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Center to That of Similar Patients Transported to the Nearest Hospital Am J Cardiol 2006;98:1329–1333)
- Michel R. Le May, MD, Richard Dionne, MD, Justin Maloney, MD; John Trickett, RN; Irene Watpool, RN; Michel Ruest, ACP; Ian Stiell, MD; Sheila Ryan, BSc; Richard F. Davies, MD. Diagnostic Performance and potential clinical impact of advanced care paramedic interpretation of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction in the field Can J Emerg Med 2006;8(6):401-7
- So DY, Ha AC, Turek MA, Maloney JP, Higginson LA, Davies RF, Ryan SC, Le May MR. Comparison of mortality patterns in patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction arriving by emergency medical services versus self-transport (from the prospective Ottawa Hospital STEMI Registry). Am J Cardiol. 2006 Feb 15;97(4):458-61.
- Ian G. Stiell, Lisa P. Nesbitt, Martin H. Osmond, Starla Campbell, Rick Gerein, Douglas P. Munkley, Lorraine G. Luinstra, Justin P. Maloney, George A. Wells OPALS Pediatric Study: What Is the Impact of Advanced Life Support on out-of-hospital Cardiac Arrest? Acad Emerg Med Volume 12, Number 5_suppl_1 17-18
- Le May MR, Wells GA, Labinaz M, Davies RF, Turek M, Leddy D, Maloney J, McKibbin T, Quinn B, Beanlands RS, Glover C, Marquis JF, O'Brien ER, Williams WL, Higginson LA: Combined angioplasty and pharmacological intervention versus thrombolysis alone in acute myocardial infarction (CAPITAL AMI study) J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Aug 2;46(3):417-2