Dr. Ian Stiell MD, MSc, FRCPC
Dr. Ian Stiell MD, MSc, FRCPC
Senior Scientist, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa and Distinguished Professor
- University of Western Ontario
- Chief Resident, Emergency Medicine, McGill University
- Resident, Emergency Medicine, McGill University
- Resident, Family Medicine, University of Calgary
Formal Role in the Department
- Member of School of Graduate Studies and Research, University of Ottawa
- Director of Investigator Development and Performance, 2018
- Vice-Chair, Research and Scholarship 2015-18
- Chair, 2002-2015
- Physician, Department of Emergency Medicine
Publications (Total = 473)
Most important Publications:
30. Stiell IG, Sivilotti MLA, Taljaard M, Birnie D, Vadeboncoeur A, Hohl CM, McRae AD, Rowe BH, Brison RJ, Thiruganasambandamoorthy V, Macle L, Borgundvaag B, Morris J, Mercier E, Clement CM, Brinkhurst J, Sheehan C, Brown E, Nemnom MJ, Wells GA, Perry JJ. Electrical versus pharmacological cardioversion for emergency department patients with acute atrial fibrillation (RAFF2): a partial factorial randomised trial. Lancet. 2020 Feb 1;395(10221):339-349.
29. Stiell IG, Perry JJ, Clement CM, Brison RJ, Rowe BH, Aaron SD, McRae AD, Borgundvaag B, Calder LA, Forster AJ, Brinkhurst J, Wells GA. Clinical validation of a risk scale for serious outcomes among patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease managed in the emergency department. CMAJ. 2018 Dec 3;190(48):E1406-E1413.
28. Stiell IG, Brown SP, Nichol G, Cheskes S, Vaillancourt C, Callaway CW, Morrison LJ, Christenson J, Aufderheide TP, Davis DP, Free C, Hostler D, Stouffer JA, Idris A, and the ROC Investigators. What is the Optimal Chest Compression Depth during Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Resuscitation of Adult Patients? Circulation, 2014 Nov 25;130(22):1962-70
27. Stiell IG, Clement CM, Brison RJ, Rowe BH, Borgundvaag B, Aaron SD, Lang E, Calder LA, Perry JJ, Forster AJ, Wells GA. Clinical Characteristics Associated with Adverse Events in Patients with Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Prospective Cohort Study. CMAJ 2014 Apr 1;186(6):E193-204.
26. Stiell IG, Nichol G, Leroux B, Rea TD, Ornato JP, Powell J et al. Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium ROC PRIMED Trial of Early Rhythm Analysis versus Later Analysis in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. N Engl J Med. 2011 Sep 1;365(9):787-97.
25. Stiell IG, Clement CM, Grimshaw JM, Brison RJ, Rowe BH, Lee JS, Shaw A, Brehaut J, Holroyd BR, Schull MJ, McKnight D, Eisenhauer MA, Dreyer J, Letovsky E, Rutledge T, MacPhail I, Ross S, Perry JJ, Ip U, Lesiuk H, Bennett C, Wells GA. A Prospective 12-Centre Cluster Randomized Trial to Implement the Canadian CT Head Rule in Emergency Departments. CMAJ.2010;182(14) Oct 1527-1531.
24. Stiell IG, Clement CM, O’Connor A, Davies B, Leclair C, Sheehan P, Clavet T, Beland C, MacKenzie T, Wells GA. Multicenter Prospective Validation of the Canadian C-Spine Rule by Emergency Department Triage Nurses. CMAJ 2010;Aug 10;182(11):1173-9
23. Stiell IG, Clement CM, Grimshaw J, Brison R, Rowe BH, Schull MJ, Lee J, Brehaut J, McKnight D, Eisenhauer MA, Dreyer J, Letovsky E, Rutledge T, MacPhail I, Ross S, Perry JJ, Holroyd BR, Ip U, Lesiuk H, Wells GA. Implementation of the Canadian C-Spine Rule: A Prospective 12-Centre Cluster Randomized Trial. British Medical Journal 2009. BMJ. 2009 Oct 29;339:b4146
22. Stiell IG, Nesbitt LP, Pickett W, Munkley D, Spaite DW, Banek J, Field B, Luinstra-Toohey L, Maloney J, Dreyer J, Lyver M, Campeau T, Wells GA, for the OPALS Study Group. The OPALS Major Trauma Study: impact of advanced life support on survival and morbidity. Can Med Assoc J 2008;178:1141-1152.
21. Stiell IG, Spaite DW, Field B, Nesbitt LP, Munkley D, Maloney J, Dreyer J, Luinstra-Toohey L, Campeau T, Dagnone E, Lyver M, Wells GA, for the OPALS Study Group. Advanced Life Support for Out-of-Hospital Respiratory Distress. New Engl J Med 2007;356:2156-2164.
20. Stiell IG, Walker RG, Nesbitt LP, Chapman FW, Cousineau D, Christenson J, Bradford P, Sookram S,Berringer R, Lank P, Wells GA. BIPHASIC Trial: A Randomized Comparison of Fixed Lower VersusEscalating Higher Energy Levels for Defibrillation in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Circulation 2007;115:1511-1517.
19. Stiell IG, Clement CM, Rowe BH, Schull MJ, Brison R, Cass D, Eisenhauer MA, McKnight RD, Bandiera G, Holroyd B, Lee JS, Dreyer J, Worthington JR, Reardon M, Greenberg G, Lesiuk H, MacPhail I, Wells GA. Comparison of the Canadian CT Head Rule and the New Orleans Criteria in Patients with Minor Head Injury. JAMA 2005;294:1511-1518.
18. Stiell IG, Wells GA, Field B, Spaite DW, Nesbitt LP, De Maio VJ, Nichol G, Cousineau D, Blackburn J, Munkley D, Luinstra Toohey L, Campeau T, Dagnone E, Lyver M, for the OPALS Study Group. Advanced Cardiac Life Support in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. New Engl J Med 2004;351:647-656.
17. Stiell IG, Clement CM, McKnight RD, Brison R, Schull MJ, Rowe BH, Worthington JR, Eisenhauer MA, Cass, D, Greenberg G, MacPhail I, Dreyer J, Lee JS, Bandiera G, Reardon M, Holroyd B, Lesiuk H, Wells GA. The Canadian C-Spine Rule versus the NEXUS low-risk criteria in patients with trauma. New Engl J Med 2003;349:2510-2518.
16. Stiell IG, Nichol G, Wells GA, De Maio V, Nesbitt L, Blackburn J, Spaite D, for the OPALS Study Group.
Health-related quality of life is better for cardiac arrest survivors who received citizen CPR. Circulation 2003;108:1939-1944.
15. Stiell IG, Wells GA, Vandemheen KL, Clement CM, Lesiuk H, De Maio VJ, Laupacis A, Schull M, McKnight RD, Verbeek R, Brison R, Cass D, Dreyer J, Eisenhauer MA, Greenberg GH, MacPhail I, Morrison L, Reardon M, Worthington J. The Canadian Cervical Spine Radiography Rule for alert and stable trauma patients. JAMA 2001;286:1841-1848.
14. Stiell IG, Hebert PC, Wells GA, Vandemheen K, Tang ASL, Higginson LAJ, Dreyer JF, Clement C, Battram E, Watpool I, Mason S, Klassen T, Weitzman B. Vasopressin versus epinephrine for in-hospital cardiac arrest: a randomized controlled trial. The Lancet 2001;358:105-109.
13. Stiell IG, Wells GA, Vandemheen K, Clement C, Lesiuk H, Laupacis A, McKnight RD, Verbeek R, Brison R, Cass D, Eisenhauer MA, Greenberg GH, Worthington J, for the CCC Study Group. The Canadian CT Head Rule for patients with minor head injury. The Lancet 2001;357:1391-1396.
12. Stiell IG, Wells GA, Field BJ, Spaite DW, De Maio VJ, Ward R, Munkley DP, Lyver MB, Luinstra LG,
Campeau T, Maloney J, Dagnone E, for the OPALS Study Group. Improved out-of-hospital cardiac arrest survival through the inexpensive optimization of an existing defibrillation program (OPALS Study Phase II). JAMA 1999;281:1175-1181.
11. Stiell IG and Wells GA. Methodological standards for the development of clinical decision rules in emergency medicine. Ann Emerg Med 1999;33:437-447.
10. Stiell IG, Wells GA, Hoag RH, Sivilotti MLA, Cacciotti TF, Verbeek PR, Greenway KT, McDowell I, Cwinn A, Greenberg GH, Nichol G, Michael JA. Implementation of the Ottawa Knee Rule for the use of radiography in acute knee injuries. JAMA 1997;278:2075-2079.
9. Laupacis A, Sekar N, Stiell IG. Clinical prediction rules: a review and suggested modifications of methodological standards. JAMA 1997;277-6:488-494.
8. Stiell IG, Hébert PC, Wells, GA, Laupacis A, Vandemheen K, Dreyer, JF, Eisenhauer MA, Gibson J, Higginson LAJ, Kirby AS, Mahon JL, Maloney JP, Weitzman BN. The Ontario trial of active compression-decompression cardiopulmonary resuscitation for in hospital and prehospital hospital cardiac arrest. JAMA 1996;275-18:1417-1423.
7. Stiell IG, Greenberg GH, Wells GA, McDowell I, Cwinn AA, Smith NA, Cacciotti TF, Sivilotti MLA. Prospective validation of a decision rule for the use of radiography in acute knee injuries. JAMA 1996;275-8:611-615.
6. Stiell IG, Wells GA, Laupacis A, Brison R, Verbeek R, Vandemheen K, Naylor CD. A multicentre trial to introduce clinical decision rules for the use of radiography in acute ankle injuries. Br Med J 1995;311:594-597.
5. Stiell IG, Greenberg GH, Wells GA, McKnight RD, Cwinn AA, Cacciotti T, McDowell I, Smith NA. The derivation of a decision rule for the use of radiography in acute knee injuries. Ann Emerg Med 1995;26:4:405-413.
4. Stiell IG, McKnight RD, Greenberg GH, McDowell I, Nair RC, Wells GA, Johns C, Worthington JR. Implementation of the Ottawa Ankle Rules. JAMA 1994;271:827-832.
3. Stiell IG, Greenberg GH, McKnight RD, Nair RC, McDowell I, Reardon M, Stewart, JP, Maloney J. Decision rules for the use of radiography in acute ankle injuries: refinement and prospective validation. JAMA 1993;269:1127-32.
2. Stiell IG, Greenberg GH, McKnight RD, Nair RC, McDowell I, Worthington JR. A study to develop a clinical decision rule for the use of radiography in acute ankle injuries. Ann Emerg Med 1992;21:384-90.
1. Stiell IG, Hébert PC, Weitzman BN, Wells GA, Raman S, Stark RM, Higginson LAJ, Ahuja J, Dickinson GE. High-dose epinephrine in adult cardiac arrest. New Engl J Med 1992;327:1045-50.
- Medal of Honour – Health Research Foundation of Innovative Medicines Canada, 2017
- Grant Innes Research Paper and Presentation Award - Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians, 2017
- Ottawa Hospital Excellence Award – Research Excellence Category Award, 2016
- CIHR Foundation Grant, 2015-2022
- Tier 1 Clinical Research Chair, Acute Cardiac Conditions, University of Ottawa, 2015-2020
- Outstanding Contribution in Research, American College of Emergency Physicians, 2012
- President’s Award, Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians, 2012
- Distinguished Professor, University of Ottawa, 2007
- University Health Research Chair, University of Ottawa, 2006
- Faculty Mentoring Award, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, 2005
- Senior Investigator Award, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 2005
- Order of the International Federation for Emergency Medicine, 2004
- Dr. J. David Grimes Research Career Achievement Award, Ottawa Health Research Institute, 2002
- Visiting Professorship in Medical Research, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, 2002
- Distinguished Investigator, Canadian Institutes for Health Research, 2001
- WG Smith Memorial Lectureship, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Australia, 2001
- Member, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences, 1999
- Hal Jayne Academic Achievement Award, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 2000
- Best Faculty Clinical Science Presentation, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 2003
- Best Oral Clinical Science Presentation, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 1998
- Best Oral Clinical Science Presentation, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 1997
- Faculty Award of Excellence, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, 1996
- Best Oral Clinical Science Presentation, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 1994
- Best Oral Clinical Science Presentation, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 1993