CCFP: How-to Apply
Dr. Avik Nath MD CCFP-EM, MSc Public Health
Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa
Departments of Emergency Medicine and Family Medicine
Dr. Jennifer Leppard, MD, CCFP-EM
The University of Ottawa Family Medicine/Emergency Medicine Program is an intensive 12-month residency to enhance competence in emergency medicine skills. The one-year program in Emergency Medicine at the University of Ottawa was the first in Canada, and has been offered since 1979. It provides a program of advanced training for family physicians, either immediately following the first two years of family medicine residency, or to those who have already been in practice. Accredited by the CFPC, successful completion of the program confers eligibility for the CCFP (EM) exam, and CCFP (EM) / CCFP (CAC-EM) certification.
What makes our Program so special?
- Our STAFF! - Country and worldwide leaders in research, ultrasound, simulation and medical education
- Our terrific relationship with the 5-year Royal College Program – sharing resources, educational activities, social events
- Our outstanding Academic Days – A weekly line-up of Resident-led Case Rounds, Grand Rounds, M&M Rounds and dedicated CCFP-EM teaching by passionate staff Emergency Physicians
- CCFP-EM Board Exam readiness through scheduled practice exams and practice orals
- Our Simulation Curriculum led by experts in Simulation-Based Education (fellowship opportunities available)
- Longitudinal Pediatric Curriculum at CHEO – you will be the most senior resident scheduled in the Acute Care area
- Our nationally recognized Ultrasound Experts, 2 weeks of supervised ultrasound training and Emergency Medicine Ultrasound Certification (fellowship opportunities available)
- We support your scholarly activity with a locally developed Research Guide, Research Supervisor and Methodologist
- Courses offered: ACLS, ATLS ($1000 Education Fund), ACLS instructor course for a discounted price*
“This is a program that will do all it can to meet much more than just your needs"
Abigail Nowak CCFP-EM chief resident Class of 2013