About the Faculty
- Highly-ranked competitive education: Consistently ranked among the top 10 medical schools in Canada, our Faculty of Medicine attracts over 50% of the total research funding at the University of Ottawa and is among the top faculties of medicine in the world for research impact in biomedical and health sciences.
We offer top quality accredited programs in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education, as well as diverse topics for graduate and postdoctoral studies, and a specialized undergraduate degree in translational and molecular medicine.
- A bilingual and interdisciplinary setting: As the only bilingual medical faculty in Canada, we offer a unique advantage for students seeking to study medicine and medical sciences in either French or English. Whether in clinical or basic science education, our learners collaborate through interdisciplinary mentorship programs and interactive events.
- Research and innovation: Nationwide, we rank among the top 5 medical schools for research intensity and impact. As a Faculty, we generate approximately $130-140 million per year in research funding from provincial, federal and international sources, making us a recognized national and international leader in medical sciences.
Our programs give access to a dynamic learning environment with state-of-the-art core facilities and specialized institutions such as the University of Ottawa Skills and Simulation Centre, the uOttawa Brain and Mind Research Institute, and the School of Epidemiology and Public Health.
- Prime location and strong partnerships: Located in the nation’s capital, we are part of a vast network of health practitioners, policymakers and leaders with national and international influence, including national agencies such as Health Canada, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research and the National Research Council.
As a medical school, we are proudly partnered with five distinguished local academic health science centres (The Ottawa Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Hôpital Montfort, The Royal and Bruyère Continuing Care), along with their respective research institutes.
- International reach: We are a leader in international education and research with academic partnerships in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. We constantly forge opportunities in global health for our students and faculty members.