Office of Marketing and Communications
The Office of Marketing and Communications (MarCom) manages strategic communications to promote the Faculty’s brand and reputation of excellence in research and education.
Attracting the finest students, teachers and researchers involves showcasing our unique educational environment, our innovative science and research facilities, and opportunities to learn from world-renowned teachers and excel in one’s field.
Presenting the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine (FoM) as a top choice involves a combination of efforts on all of our parts. MarCom offers comprehensive communications planning, strategy and support, and we have been working diligently to develop new mechanisms to increase the FoM’s ability to profile your key research, education and clinical messages.
We work closely with the FoM’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT), Research Office and other staff, our University colleagues, and our partner hospitals and research institutes to showcase our most noteworthy stories to the public, demonstrating how our achievements improve societal outcomes. Our reputation depends on us sharing our achievements.
Promote FoM Messaging: How do we share your research, education and clinical news and successes internally and externally?
- Assistance with communications and marketing planning and strategy
- Communications and marketing support for FoM-wide events like AGMs, Doors Open Ottawa, UGME Accreditation 2018, etc.
- Updates from the dean, including uOMedTalks and MedFlash
- MedPoint web news stories
- MedPoint Email Newsletter
- Management of FoM official bilingual social media channels: Facebook, Twitter
- Promotional screen displays in Roger Guindon Hall and Peter Morand buildings
- Mass communications to faculty, staff and learners
- Billboards in Roger Guindon Hall and Peter Morand buildings
- Press releases and media relations with uO and hospitals/research institutes
- One-pagers (promotional brochures per Department/Office/Program/School)
- Advice for videography and video production
Build a Sense of Belonging: How do we encourage internal engagement?
- Creation of Faculty Experience Team to improve member engagement
- Creation, implementation, communications planning and promotion of the 2017 Faculty Experience Survey
- Overseeing of action plan from the survey, as guided by the ELT and Faculty Experience Team
Promote FoM Branding: How do we help you get our brand name out there?
- Branding and logo usage (guidelines, customized templates, advice, approvals)
- Graphic design
- Design and procurement of FoM branded promotional items
- Boutique—FoM swag
- Design and production of permanent installations and outdoor banners
FoM’s Main Communication Tool: How do we manage the FoM’s web content?
- Web development for FoM website and sub-sites
- Monitoring consistency, quality, health, usage and accessibility of sites
- Identifying technical problems
- Managing layout, navigation and updates
- Implementing migrations and updates to Drupal
- Handling customized web requests
- Development of training material and delivering training to FoM web content editors
Monika MacLaren, MBA
Senior Manager, Marketing, Communications and Engagement
613-562-5800 ext. 8920
613-562-5800 ext. 3854
Marketing and Communications Officer
613-562-5800 ext. 7476
613-562-5800 ext. 6968
Project Manager, Faculty Engagement
613-562-5800 ext. 3858
Marketing and Communications Writer
613-562-5800 ext. 3362