Faculty of Medicine
Faculty members (2,432):
- Clinician FTA (Full Time Academic): 991
- Adjunct: 181
- Emeritus: 39
- Part-time clinician: 0
- Basic Sciences
- Regular full-time professors: 82
- Research associates: 0
- Replacement professor: 0
- Scientists: 76
- Sessional lecturers: 12
- Soft-funded professors: 11
- Visiting professor: 0
- Voluntary part-time and Distributed Medical Education: 1,040
- Clinical professors: 2,285
- Biomedical/population scientists: 75
Support Staff: 404
- 652 Undergraduate Medical Education (MD) students
- 1002 Postgraduate Medical Education (resident) trainees
- 150 Fellows
- 253 MSc students
- 201 PhD students
- 227 Postdoctoral fellows
Undergraduate medical education office
- Number of applicants for 2017–2018 academic year: 4,163
- Number of students who met excellence of marks cut-off: 1,989
- Number of students who were interviewed: 575
- Number of students admitted: 164
- On average, there are 164 students in each year of the four-year program
- Students currently in first year:
- Anglophone: 116
- Francophone: 48
- Aboriginal Program: 6
- Program began in September 2010
- Currently there are 25 students enrolled at various stages of the program
- According to the University of Ottawa Alumni Association, over 5,000 students have graduated from the MD Program since it was instituted in 1945
Postgraduate Medical Education Program
We offer 72 programs that lead to certification by the College of Family Physicians of Canada or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and 4 AFC programs.
We are home to 1,300 trainees:
- 197 first-year residents enter our programs through the Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS) process annually
- upwards of 220 fellows both from Canada and abroad
- up to 150 visa trainees
We accept over 350 elective requests each year.
Training in a Francophone milieu is offered in many programs at l’Hôpital Montfort.
Our generous awards and grants program provides opportunities to focus on research and educational initiatives as well as fellowships.
We offer unique training opportunities at our partner universities: l’Université de Lyon (France) and the Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China).
Partners and Affiliates
Teaching hospitals affiliated with the University of Ottawa include:
- Bruyère Continuing Care
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- Hôpital Montfort
- Royal Ottawa Health Care Group
- The Ottawa Hospital
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- There are 447 current students. For the Fall 2014 session, 160 new students arrived. For the Winter 2015 session, 46 students admitted and 40 students admitted for Spring 2015.
- The breakdown per graduate program is as follows:
- Biochemistry: 97 students: 49 PhD and 48 MSc
- Cellular and Molecular Medicine: 123 students: 64 PhD and 99 MSc
- Epidemiology: 116 students: 31 PhD and 85 MSc
- Microbiology and Immunology: 47 students : 26 PhD and 21 MSc
- Neuroscience: 64 students: 30 PhD and 34 MSc
- MSc students: 200
- PhD students: 287
- Postdoctoral fellows: 150
- Applicants for the 2015-2016 academic year to date: 422
- Applicants for the 2014-2015 academic year: 467
- Admitted in 2012-2013: 246
Faculty of Medicine Research Office
- The Faculty of Medicine consistently ranks among the top three nationally over the last five years for research intensity.
- The University ranks among the top 100 universities in the world for clinical medical research (88th, 2015, National Taiwan University Rankings).
- The Faculty attracts approximately 60% of the external research funds received by the University ($130-$140M in the last 5 years)
- Training the next generation of scientists contributes significantly to the development and evaluation of clinical interventions that address the health care needs of Canadians. In 2015-2016, the Faculty enrolled approximately 500 graduate students and postdoctoral trainees in six graduate programs in medicine: Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Epidemiology, Microbiology and Immunology, Neuroscience and MD/PhD.