Faculty of Medicine, along with its affiliated research institutes, awarded over $14M in the CIHR Project Grant Competition
Congratulations to all of our members on their recent success with their CIHR Project Grant funding. Overall, the Faculty of Medicine and its affiliated research institutes had a 13.7% success rate.
CIHR funds innovative health research for the benefit of all Canadians, and the Faculty of Medicine continues to shine in its enviable position as a leading research-intensive institution.
Congratulations to the 18 research groups on behalf of the entire Faculty!
- Lise Dubois (PI); Richard E Tremblay, Michel Boivin, Denis Prud'Homme. Determinants of dietary habits in young adults: the influence of the first five years of life
- Stephen S Ferguson. Investigation of sex differences in preclinical models of Alzheimer's disease treatment
- Manisha A Kulkarni (PI); Nicholas H Ogden, Anders J Knudby, Michael C Sawada. Public Health Risk Assessment Tools for Emerging Vector-borne Diseases 2.0
- Subash Sad (PI); Alain Stintzi, Alexandre Blais. FoxO3a acts as a key checkpoint that regulates inflammation in the gut
- Alice A Zwerling and Gonzalo G Alvarez (PIs); Michael Patterson, Sandy Finn, Jean M Allen, Shylah Elliott, Patricia A DeMaio, Christopher Pease. Modelling the impact and cost-effectiveness of novel approaches for TB control in Nunavut
- Rebecca Ann C Auer. Perioperative Targeting of Myeloid Derived Suppressor Cells to Alleviate Postoperative Immunosuppression and Metastases
- Angela M Crawley. Liver fibrosis and CD8 T cell dysfunction in hepatitis C virus infection
- Aurelien Delluc and Marc Carrier (PIs); Jean-Philippe Galanaud, Alejandro Lazo-Langner, Grégoire Le Gal, Timothy O Ramsay, Philippe Robin, Pierre-Yves Salaun, Sudeep P Shivakumar, Susan Solymoss, Vicky Tagalakis, Ryan Zarychanski, Lionel S Zuckier. Screening for Occult Malignancy in Patients with Unprovoked Venous Thromboembolism: a Randomized Controlled Trial using 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Computed Tomography. SOME-2 Trial
- Aurelien Delluc and Marc A Rodger (PIs); Dean A Fergusson, Sudeep P Shivakumar, Leslie Skeith, Jean-Philippe Galanaud, James D Douketis, Michael J Kovacs, Susan R Kahn, Clive Kearon, Sam Schulman, Ranjeeta Mallick, Deborah M Siegal, Jameel Abdulrehman, Walter Ageno, Jamie C Brehaut, Tony Wan, Cynthia M Wu, Kednapa Thavorn. StAtins for Venous Event Reduction in patients with venous thromboembolism (The SAVER Trial)
- Dean A Fergusson and Manoj M Lalu (PIs); Jonathan Kimmelman, Alvin Tieu, Lindsey Sikora, David Moher, Brian E Hutton, Tania M Bubela. Translation of Highly Promising Basic Science Research into Clinical Applications: A Systematic Review
- Brian E Hutton, Rachel L Rodin and Brett D Thombs (PIs); Chantelle M Garritty, Adrienne L Stevens, Kednapa Thavorn, Danielle B Rice, George A Wells, Shannon Kelly, David Moher, Laura C Weeks. Artificial Intelligence in Systematic Reviews: Evaluation of Emerging Electronic Tools for Researchers in Knowledge Synthesis
- Grégoire Le Gal (PI); Brian E Hutton, Alfonso Iorio, Beverley J Shea, Lisa Duffett, Tobias Tritschler, Peter S Tugwell, Leslie Skeith. Establishing an International Core Outcome Set for Clinical Trials of Interventions for Venous Thromboembolism in Adults (VTE-COS)
- Pierre Adel Mattar. Molecular dissection of temporal competence in neural progenitors
- Pierre Adel Mattar. Molecular mechanisms controlling photoreceptor genome organization and neurodegeneration
- Daniel I McIsaac, Carl Van Walraven and Alan J Forster (PIs); Reva Ramlogan, Brad Meulenkamp, Peter Tanuseputro, Faraj W Abdallah, Paul E Beaule, Allen R Huang, Sylvain Boet, Colin J McCartney, Duminda N Wijeysundera, Barbara E Power, Monica Taljaard, Shannon M Fernando, Jeffrey J Perry. SAFE PNB -Safe Analgesia For Elders receiving Peripheral Nerve Blocks for hip fracture
- David J Picketts. Determining the mechanisms underlying disease pathology and the genetic reversibility of the ATR-X syndrome.
- Alan T Tinmouth, Dawn Maze and Jason Tay (PIs); Dean A Fergusson, Ranjeeta Mallick, Anca Prica, Christine I Chen, Sara M Beattie, Irwin R Walker, Mohamed Elemary, Matthew D Seftel, Kednapa Thavorn, David S Allan, Johnathan Mack, Christopher Bredeson. Platelet Transfusions in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - The PATH Phase III Trial
- Jing Wang and Marjorie C Brand. Optimizing cell-based therapies to promote neurovascular regeneration and behavioural recovery after ischemic stroke