Invitation to showcase your work!
There is so much important work taking place at the Faculty of Medicine that it’s a shame for it to be hiding behind closed doors. On Friday, May 31 and Sunday, June 2 you are invited (and encouraged!) to participate in two bilingual outreach events that will educate the community on:
- Who is part of the Faculty of Medicine
- The excellent work we do in medical education and health research
- How to apply to enroll in our educational programs
Both events are a chance to connect with the community and to become better-attuned to the positive societal impact of our work. They are also great opportunities for team building.
This is a Faculty-wide effort. There are opportunities for anyone to be involved, including faculty members, clinicians, researchers, research trainees, medical and science learners, educators and staff.
Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Discovery Day
Friday, May 31, 2019
Discovery Day in Health Sciences, presented by MD Financial Management and locally sponsored by Kiwanis Ottawa, will be hosted by the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Ottawa, in partnership with the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame. Offered at 14 sites across Canada, this event encourages young people to explore exciting careers in the health sciences. Students are already signing up and over 200 students are expected to attend.
- The goal: Inspire the next generation of medical researchers and clinicians, allow students to explore a variety of career opportunities in medicine, and make youth in our area aware of educational opportunities at our faculty.
- Who can be involved: Faculty members, clinicians, researchers, research trainees, and educators (at the Faculty of Medicine or associated research institutes and hospitals)
- Your role at the event: Offer a 90-minute interactive workshop that includes a brief description of the academic paths required to work in your area and an interactive activity or simulation of your work. Or you may offer to be involved in the “Health Pros Tell All” career panel discussion, during which you will share how your career has evolved and answer students’ questions.
- Your audience: Grade 11 students from secondary schools in Ottawa and area. Sign up is done through schools with the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Discovery Day.
- Location: Main events in Roger Guindon Hall (RGN), with openings for workshops to take place within the Faculty of Medicine laboratories/clinics, or offsite at partnering institutes with transportation from RGN provided for participants.
- Apply to participate: Visit the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Discovery Day registration page to be involved.
Doors Open Ottawa
Sunday, June 2, 2019
On Sunday, June 2, 2019 we will welcome hundreds of community members to Roger Guindon Hall to learn about our innovative research and educational programs. Doors Open Ottawa is an annual event that gives access to buildings around the city that the public doesn’t normally get the chance to see. We have had large enthusiastic crowds the last two years, and this year the Faculty wants wider involvement to make a dynamic 2019 program!
- Audience: Members from the general public, ages 6+ (300 participants in 2018)
- Who can be involved: Faculty members, clinicians, researchers, research trainees, medical and science learners, educators and staff.
- How you can be involved: Offer a 30-minute interactive workshop, host an information booth, or be part of presentations about educational programs at the Faculty of Medicine.
- Location: Roger Guindon (RGN) Hall (for those participating from partnering institutions, ensure demonstration materials are portable so they can be transported to RGN, where accommodations will be made for you.
- Apply: Visit the registration page to submit an application.
FOR BOTH OF THESE EVENTS: If you are not interested in demonstrating your work, but instead would like to be a volunteer, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.