Dr. Ian Colman* PhD
Dr. Ian Colman* PhD
Professor and Canada Research Chair in Mental Health Epidemiology
Room: 600 Peter Morand (Alta Vista), Room 308C
Office: 613-562-5800 ext. 8715
Work E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Colman is a Professor in the School of Epidemiology and Public Health at the University of Ottawa. He received his Bachelor in Mathematics in 1994 from the University of Waterloo, his MSc in Epidemiology in 2000 from the University of Alberta, and his PhD in Psychiatry in 2007 from the University of Cambridge.
Dr. Colman is the Canada Research Chair in Mental Health Epidemiology, and directs the Applied Psychiatric Epidemiology Across the Life course (APEAL) Lab. His research program investigates the epidemiology of common mental illnesses in the general population. His current focus is understanding longitudinal and life-course processes surrounding depression and anxiety, with a particular interest in identifying early-life factors that may predict depression and anxiety later in life. In addition, he has interests in long-term outcomes of common mental disorders and their treatment, and the epidemiology of suicidal behaviour.
Dr. Colman has published widely, including papers in the British Medical Journal, the Canadian Medical Association Journal, the American Journal of Psychiatry and Biological Psychiatry.
- MacKinnon N, Kingsbury M, Mahedy L, Evans J, Colman I. The Association Between Prenatal Stress and Externalizing Symptoms in Childhood: Evidence From the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children. Biol Psychiatry. 2018 Jan 15;83(2):100-108.
- Gilman SE, Sucha E, Kingsbury M, Horton NJ, Murphy JM, Colman I. Depression and mortality in a longitudinal study: 1952-2011. CMAJ. 2017 Oct 23;189(42):E1304-E1310.
- Kingsbury M, Weeks M, MacKinnon N, Evans J, Mahedy L, Dykxhoorn J, Colman I. Stressful Life Events During Pregnancy and Offspring Depression: Evidence From aProspective Cohort Study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016 Aug;55(8):709-716.
- Colman I, Kingsbury M, Garad Y, Zeng Y, Naicker K, Patten S, Jones PB, Wild TC, Thompson AH. Consistency in adult reporting of adverse childhood experiences. Psychol Med. 2016 Feb;46(3):543-9.
- Swanson SA, Colman I. Association between exposure to suicide and suicidality outcomes in youth. CMAJ. 2013 Jul 9;185(10):870-7.
- McMartin SE, Jacka FN, Colman I. The association between fruit and vegetable consumption and mental health disorders: evidence from five waves of a national survey of Canadians. Prev Med. 2013 Mar;56(3-4):225-30.
- Colman I, Naicker K, Zeng Y, Ataullahjan A, Senthilselvan A, Patten SB. Predictors of long-term prognosis of depression. CMAJ. 2011 Nov 22;183(17):1969-76.
- Colman I, Ataullahjan A. Life course perspectives on the epidemiology of depression. Can J Psychiatry. 2010 Oct;55(10):622-32.
- Colman I, Murray J, Abbott RA, Maughan B, Kuh D, Croudace TJ, Jones PB. Outcomes of conduct problems in adolescence: 40 year follow-up of national cohort. BMJ. 2009 Jan 8;338:a2981.
- Colman I, Ploubidis GB, Wadsworth ME, Jones PB, Croudace TJ. A longitudinal typology of symptoms of depression and anxiety over the life course. Biol Psychiatry. 2007 Dec 1;62(11):1265-71.
- Colman I, Wadsworth ME, Croudace TJ, Jones PB. Forty-year psychiatric outcomes following assessment for internalizing disorder in adolescence. Am J Psychiatry. 2007 Jan;164(1):126-33.