- View the January 2021 issue of PULSE
- Departmental Updates - January 2021
- Become a DFM mentor - You are all already informal mentors to many colleagues and learners. We are collecting a list of possible formal mentors to support DFM members. You are not making a firm commitment by completing this survey - just expressing interest. Thank you!
- The DFM Research Community of Practice (CoP) is a newly established group of DFM faculty members, residents and staff who share interests in family medicine, want to engage in collective learning, and collaborate on projects, grant applications, knowledge-sharing and creation, and much more! The next meeting is February 4 from 10:00 am – 11:30 am. Please contact Dr. Maddie Venables, Maddie.Venables@uottawa.ca / (613) 562-6262 ext. 2936 for more information.
- Join us at the DFM Virtual Forum on Wednesday, January 20 from 7:00pm-8:00pm (add to calendar) for important updates on the strategic plan and an introduction of the new University of Ottawa and Institut du Savoir Montfort Chair in Family Medicine.
- Family Medicine Grand Rounds are on Thursday, January 28 at 8am. Featuring Dr. Yoram Singer (visiting scholar), Dr. Parisa Rezaiefar, Dr. Yara Abou-Hamde (PGY2) and Dr. Farah Naz (PGY2). View the poster.
- Peer Support Pilot Program for TOH Medical Staff. To participate contact PeerPGME@uottawa.ca (residents) or PeerSupport@toh.ca (faculty).Questions? Contact OttawaHospitalPhysicians@toh.ca / 613-738-8400 ext. 81799.
- I encourage you to participate in uOttawa's Wellness Week from January 18 to 22.
- Faculty members, please complete the Faculty of Medicine diversity survey by January 12.
- Check out our DFM swag! Place an order with your team to reduce shipping costs. All proceeds benefit Minwaashin Lodge.
Awards and Recognition
- Nominations are now open for many awards, including our new DFM Awards. I encourage you to nominate your fellow colleagues, and help celebrate the accomplishments of our members.
- View a list of upcoming awards for clinicians, scholars, educators and leaders in Family Medicine.
- View a recent webinar from Compassionate Ottawa, Health, Social Services and the Community Working Together: Better Outcomes for All, featuring the DFM's Dr. Nick Busing.
- Listen to the DFM's Dr. Michelle Anawati interviewed on Radio-Canada's Le matin du Nord (in French). Dr. Anawati discusses her work in francophone medical education, including the challenges posed by COVID-19.
- The DFM's Dr. Peggy Kleinplatz is featured in the NY Times article, Take Back your Sex Life, which discusses her recent book, Magnificent Sex: Lessons from extraordinary lovers. The book is co-authored with Dr. A. Dana Ménard and was awarded the 2021 Society for Sex Therapy and Research Consumer Book Award. Dr. Kleinplatz will be presented with this award at the STARR Annual Meeting in April.
- Congratulations to our 23 members who were recognized with Faculty of Medicine Awards in December. View the list of awards and recipients.
- Dr. Claire Kendall is the new Associate Dean, Social Accountability at the Faculty of Medicine, after having served as Assistant Dean since February 2020.
- Updates from the Faculty of Medicine regarding COVID-19
- Complete a survey on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on cervical cancer screening and management practices across Canada. Read more. Contact: 514-398-6032 / email@example.com.
- The Centre for Effective Practice has consolidated information and resources related to the COVID-19 vaccines in Canada.
- Answering patient questions about COVID-19 vaccines (OCFP)
- COVID-19 Vaccine-Relevant Information and Planning Resources (Ontario MOHLTC)
- Communication to community members and families, Ontario Primary Care COVID-19 Vaccination Action Council
- 19 to Zero healthcare coalition
- The Department of Family Medicine and the Bruyère Research Institute are seeking a Bruyère Chair in Primary Health Care Dementia Research. Deadline: January 15.
- Submit a proposal for a poster and/or oral presentation for DIME Meridith Marks Day before January 22. Need help to prepare a poster or presentation? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 613-899-2576.
- Apply now: Member of the CIHR Governing Council. Governing Council members develop the strategic directions, goals and policies of the CIHR. Deadline: January 22.
- Submit nominations for the uOttawa Action Committee on Anti-Racism and Inclusion to the Human Rights Office at email@example.com by January 27.
- Nominations are now open for many awards, with deadlines between February 1 and July 15. See the "Awards and Recognition" section for more information.
- Call for nominations: Les prix Acfas. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 514 849-0045 ext. 231. Deadline: February 9.
- The Journées Montfort 2021 organizing committee invites you to submit an abstract for a scientific poster for this year's event which will take place on April 15 and 16. Deadline: February 19.
- The 2021-2022 Call for Nominations for Board of Directors and Committee positions is now open. Information is available on the NAPCRG website. Deadline: March 1. Contact: 1-800-274-7928 / email@example.com.
- The Department of Family Medicine at Western University is seeking a new Ian McWhinney Chair in Family Medicine. Deadline: March 1.
- CIHR Health Research Training Platform. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 613-954-1968. Deadline: April 21.
|JAN 12||CFPC: COVID vaccines update for primary care||12:00 pm - 1:00 pm|
|JAN 13||Choose Family Medicine virtual panel discussion||7:30 pm - 8:30 pm|
The Conversation Canada - learn how you can submit a story to this news platform that doubles as a research dissemination tool
To register, please email email@example.com and you will be sent a meeting invitation with Teams link
|11:30 am - 1:00 pm|
DIME Rounds: "Affect, Narrative and Diagnosis in Clinical Medicine" with Dr. Leonard Bloom
ID: 924 747 6360; Password: 2YkCHQ
|12:00 pm - 1:00 pm|
|JAN 20||DFM Virtual Forum and introduction of the new University of Ottawa and Institut du Savoir Montfort Chair in Family Medicine||7:00 pm - 8:00 pm|
|JAN 21||Conversations with Leaders - Health, Social Services and the Community Working Together: Better Outcomes for All with Dr. Nick Busing||10:00 am -11:15 am|
|JAN 21||Medical Bytes Webinar: All your questions answered on osteoporosis||4:30 pm - 5:30 pm|
|JAN 22||Women's Health Update||8:15 am - 4:15 pm|
|JAN 26||La gestion des complications de la COVID-19||8:00 am - 9:00 am|
|JAN 27||Quoi de neuf en lipidologie?||7:00 pm - 8:00 pm|
|JAN 28||Family Medicine Grand Rounds||8:00 am - 9:00 am|
|JAN 30||OCFP Family Medicine Summit (day 1)||9:15 am - 5:00 pm|
|FEB 2||Quoi de neuf en vidéoconférence ? Dernières découvertes et autres trucs technologiques with Dr. Jean Roy||5:00 pm - 6:00 pm|
|FEB 4||Medical Bytes Webinar: A practical approach to managing RTIs in the era of COVID-19 with Dr. Peter Kuling||4:30 pm - 5:30 pm|
|FEB 5||8e édition du Colloque francophone de médecine Bal de neige||7:45 am - 3:15 pm|
|FEB 11||Préceptorat 101 - Le préceptorat et la télésupervision with Dr. Lyne Pitre and Dr. Jean Roy||8:30 am - 12:30 pm|
|FEB 11||Town Hall with uOttawa President Jacques Frémont||1:30 pm - 3:00 pm|
|FEB 12||Préceptorat 102 - Le questionnement et la télésupervision en lune de miel ! with Dr. Lyne Pitre and Dr. Jean Roy||9:00 am - 12:00 pm|
|FEB 18||Medical Bytes Webinar: Supporting child/youth mental health during COVID||4:30 pm - 5:30 pm|
|FEB 25||Family Medicine Grand Rounds||8:00 am - 9:00 am|
|FEB 27||OCFP Family Medicine Summit (day 2)||9:15 am - 5:00 pm|
|MAR 4||Medical Bytes Webinar: Alcohol use during COVID and its mental health implications with Dr. Melanie WIllows||4:30 pm - 5:30 pm|
|MAR 25||Family Medicine Grand Rounds||8:00 am - 9:00 am|
|MAR 26||Meridith Marks Day||8:00 am - 4:00 pm|
Are you looking for funding for an innovative idea? Visit our funding opportunities webpage for more information and for a list of funding opportunities.