The Department of Family Medicine at the University of Ottawa is working on the establishment of the Ottawa Practice Enhancement Network (OPEN). OPEN is a participatory consortium of primary care practices in the Champlain LHIN region that involve patients and health planners in quality improvement (QI) initiatives. It is a learning collaborative that seeks to address priorities in primary care quality through a Structured Process Informed by Data, Evidence and Research (SPIDER). Through OPEN, the Department of Family Medicine seeks to encourage a culture of inquiry and action-oriented scholarship that is responsive to regional needs. OPEN practices will serve as a model of scholarship and quality improvement to Family Medicine trainees.
The OPEN Model
- Establishing a collaborative of practices committed to QI to work together on QI initiatives to address gaps they prioritize;
- Training members of the collaborative on QI approaches;
- Engaging researchers and content experts to guide the practices on potential approaches to address the gap;
- Supporting the practices select, adapt, and implement the desired intervention to address the gap through practice facilitation;
- Establish ongoing Plan-Do-Study-Act cycles to monitor impact and adjust the approach as necessary.