There are several small changes you can introduce in your clinical environments right now to make a big difference in reducing waste, improving efficiency and saving money. The Green Office Toolkit is a comprehensive guide to making eco-friendly office improvements, and Green Office Solutions for Physicians provides a checklist of simple tips for a healthier, greener office. We have put together a list of the top three ways to reduce waste and protect the environment – and you can start today!
1. Educate yourself, your team and your patients – and ask for their ideas!
Put aside some time to discuss or share ways your practice can promote sustainability, both in the clinic and at home. Peruse the resources provided below for some ideas and share them with your colleagues and patients. Ask for their ideas in return – the people who work at and visit your clinic are bound to have great ideas on ways you can save energy, resources, and money.
2. Use less (or at least, use better)
Be mindful of your use of paper, water and other resources, and consider reusable equipment, like cloth gowns, reusable specula and exam table covers. When purchasing paper products, furniture, electronics and cleaning supplies, do a little research into their eco-friendliness and efficiency. Wherever possible, choose products that are sustainable, non-toxic, recycled, reusable and/or energy efficient.
3. Save energy
Reducing your energy consumption is a great way to improve your office’s triple bottom line. Look into energy incentive programs (like these from the Ontario government), program your thermostat, switch out your light bulbs, and power down when equipment isn’t in use.
- Arya N, Zigby J, Mah J et al. Green Office Toolkit for Clinicians and Office Managers.
- Foxman S. Greening your practice: solutions for the medical office. Ontario Medical Review.
- Government of Ontario. Manage energy costs for your business.
- Mu L and Arya N. Green Office Solutions for Physicians: Tips for a Healthier, Greener Office.
- Waters E. End of the roll for examination paper. Can Fam Phys. October 20202. 66 (10) 748-9.