Welcome to the Family Medicine Residency Program at the University of Ottawa.
Top reasons to choose Family Medicine at the University of Ottawa
- Excellent training opportunities: A consistent Triple C curriculum is delivered across all sites in their different clinical settings, with centralized monthly didactic learning. Ongoing assessment maps resident progress to determine areas of competency and identify skills requiring additional attention. Residents graduate prepared to contribute to enhanced primary care delivery anywhere they choose to practice. We offer training at nearly 30 practice sites across the Ottawa region, from rural communities to the downtown core, in English, French and bilingual settings. Explore our Program Streams and Sites.
- Leading health care settings: Our residents complete their medical training in our affiliated academic health science centres, including Bruyère Continuing Care, The Ottawa Hospital, Hôpital Montfort, Pembroke Regional Hospital, Winchester District Memorial Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, The Royal as well as community health centres, clinics and hospitals across Ottawa and in rural communities in Eastern and Northern Ontario. Additionally, we have one of the largest medical simulation facilities in North America, the University of Ottawa Skills and Simulations Centre.
- Training in a Francophone milieu: Training in French is offered at L’Hôpital Montfort.
- A commitment to addressing health inequities: Our program is strengthened by our Global Health and social accountability initiatives, which support our residents in engaging in academic activities in international settings and underserved Canadian regions. This program promotes global equity in healthcare and helps our residents to enhance their training through unique clinical experiences.
- Advanced third-year training: PGY3 opportunities are also available in a variety of disciplines through our PGY3 Enhanced Skills Program.