Each uOttawa medical student enrolled in the full time undergraduate program in Family Medicine must complete 18 weeks of elective time before the end of their fourth year. There is no scheduled elective time in the third year program.
The only electives that will be counted toward your 18 week requirement are those that have been successfully completed and that have been entered in the clinical placement website and for which evaluations have been received. These are the only electives that will be reported on your Medical Student Performance Record (MSPR). Any changes to your registered electives need to be communicated with the Liaison Officer Year Four in order to be recorded on your MSPR. The Liaison Officer Year Four is the only person who will enter the electives on the MSPR and your transcripts. You must comply with the deadlines provided.
It is anticipated that your first 10 weeks of electives will be completed in a Canadian Medical School.
There will be no elective placements during the following periods:
Academic Year 2020-2021
- December 18, 2020 to January 3, 2021
- March 1 to 7, 2021
- March 15 to 21, 2021
Electives in Family Medicine
To apply, students must send the following information by email to the UG Family Medicine Education Coordinator's office which includes the following:
- The time frame that the elective is to take place (minimum of two weeks, maximum of four) send specific two week dates;
- Whether you would you like a large or small community practice or
- A teaching unit, i.e.: Bruyère, Primrose, Riverside or Civic (description of teaching units can be found on this website) or
- A hospitalist elective on the Family Medicine Floor at the Civic or General Campus of the Ottawa Hospital or Complex Continuing Care Inpatient Service at St. Vincent's Hospital
- A preference for a particular preceptor or clinic;
- Whether or not you have access to a vehicle;
- What other languages can you speak;
- What part of the city would you prefer;
- Whether you have a particular practice focus you are interested in.
All elective requests to the Department of Family Medicine are managed centrally via the UG Family Medicine Director's office. University of Ottawa 4th Year students will have priority for Ottawa placements in Blocks C, D and E which correspond to the period of September to December.
All requests are to be submitted at least four months prior to the proposed start date of the elective. We will try to confirm the placement two months before.
Cancellation of a scheduled elective must be done in writing eight weeks prior to the scheduled start date. Failure to adhere to this policy will be considered a breach of professionalism and may result in a professionalism concern form being sent to the Undergraduate Dean. Should there be an exceptional reason to cancel your elective after the eight week deadline, please write to us and we will consider on a case by case basis.
Send applications to:
Coordinator of Undergraduate Education
Tel: 613-562-5800 ext. 6477