Students enrolled in the master’s program in Epidemiology at the University of Ottawa may be eligible to fast-track directly into the doctoral program without writing a master’s thesis, provided the following conditions are met:
- Completion of all master’s course work.
- Satisfactory progress in the research program.
- Submission of a well-developed MSc thesis proposal that has been approved by the Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC).
- Proof of substantial experience in empirical data collection and analysis.
- Written recommendation by the thesis supervisor and another academic reference.
- Approval by the Graduate Studies Committee.
Submission and Approval of the Required Documents
Additional information is required to support your request to transfer from the MSc to PhD (fast-track).
- Letter of intent for the PhD Epidemiology program: explain your interest in the program, your background preparation, the area of study within epidemiology that will be the focus of your PhD work, identify your supervisor
- Transcripts showing grades for your MSc Epidemiology courses
- Two letters of support, one of which should be from your MSc supervisor and the other is an academic reference (e.g., from another professor)
- TAC report (PDF)
- TAC members’ approval of your MSc thesis proposal
- Signed PhD disclosure form (PDF) outlining supervisor and funding
- Modification of enrolment form (PDF), requesting change from MSc to PhD
If not enrolled to THM 7999 for the upcoming term, attach a Graduate Registration form to add THM 7999 for the upcoming term.