Research Travel Grant

The Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office (GPSO) of the Faculty of Medicine recognizes that travel by Master's and PhD students in the pursuit of research for their theses is important. For this purpose, the Office will henceforth offer them grants for travel outside the city when circumstances require it.

If you are going on a Research Stay, you may be eligible for a travel grant. Eligible students include Master’s with thesis option students; doctoral students and students enrolled in a “fast-track” program. Consult the form for more detailed eligibility criteria.

Description of the Research Travel Grant

The GPSO recognizes that travel in the pursuit of research for your thesis is necessary and important. For this purpose, the Office offers grants for travel outside the National Capital Region when circumstances require it.

Travel that allows the direct collection of data for a thesis in progress will be considered. Students may conduct interviews, perform archival research or consult documents or works unavailable in the region, or may further develop their research processes by visiting a foreign lab (university or government).


The maximum grant is $550.

The grants may only be used to cover either travel expenses (train, plane, bus or other) or accommodation expenses (accommodation and meals). Other travel-related expenses will not be reimbursed.


Students enrolled in full-time studies in a Master’s with thesis a PhD or fast-track program at the faculty of Medicine of the University of Ottawa when the research stay takes place are eligible.


  • This grant can only be used to cover the cost of transportation (train, plane, bus, taxi, kilometers or other), and at the most economical rate possible. No other travel expenses are eligible;
  • A single grant for the duration of the studies is allowed.
    • Master’s with thesis: At least two terms but less than six terms must have been completed when the travel takes place.
    • PhD programs: At least three terms but less than twelve terms must have been completed when the travel takes place.
    • Fast-track programs: At least two terms but less than fifteen terms must have been completed when the travel takes place.
      All terms count including terms with leaves of absence, except for approved leaves of absence for medical, maternity or parental reasons.
  • Research stay taking place in the Ottawa-Gatineau area are not eligible;
  • The applicant must obtain a financial contribution for the trip (a minimum of $100 is required) from their program director or supervisor.


Applications must be submitted before the travel takes place (no grants will be considered after the fact).


Before the research stay

1. Download and complete the Research travel grant form
  • Clearly indicate how the research stay is related to the thesis in progress.
  • Ensure that the research director or the program director indicates his or her support in a detailed recommendation in the space provided for this purpose on the application.

Form to download according to your status:

2. Submit your application and any supporting documents to the:

Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology and Cellular and Molecular Medicine

  • In person at Roger Guindon Hall, room RGN 3206
    (451 Smyth Road, Ottawa).


School of Epidemiology and Public Health

  • In person at 600 Peter Morand, room 101
    (Peter Morand Crescent, Ottawa).
3. Wait for the acceptance or refusal letter from the GPSO

The decision will be sent by email. A copy will also be sent to the department and the supervisor.

After the research stay

Upon returning from the research stay, complete the Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form and return it with the original receipts to the GPSO. Include a proof of exchange rates used if appropriate.

Where applicable, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure that ethics approval for the research project is obtained prior to the Research travel.

General guidelines on how to prepare a travel reimbursement

If your trip is partly subsidized by your program, you are responsible for obtaining the program approval through your departmental administration office.

How to fill the form

Completion of the Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form must comply with Policy 21 & Procedure 16-11.

  • Fill out the Request for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form electronically.
    Due to the different applicable taxes, it is important to use the appropriate travel claim form according to the province or country you have traveled to.
  • Please include your current mailing address and Purchase Order number (PO#) on the form in order to ensure that your reimbursement is sent to the correct address.
  • Be sure to specify your relationship and student number with the research project (e.g. whether you are an MSc /PhD student, etc.).
  • All travel and meal receipts must be submitted with your claim. The maximum claimable amount for eligible expenses is indicated in Policy 21 and Procedure 16-11.
  • Every expense must be itemized on a day to day basis.
    For every day traveled, the receipts from that day must be numbered and identified on your travel claim (in the right-hand column) and taped (no staples) on a blank sheet of paper. You must also indicate the date and your name on top of each page. Boarding passes can be taped on a single sheet.
  • Do not put a lump sum amount for items that cover more than a day; i.e. your hotel statement should be divided on a daily basis and other expenses such as Internet fees should be included in the miscellaneous expenses category. Be sure to justify, if applicable, how Internet fees were used i.e. why Internet access was necessary.
  • When travelling abroad, or in the United States of America, you will incur expenses in Canadian Dollars (Taxis, etc.) and foreign currency; therefore, two forms must be filled out and submitted together with the receipts as an entire travel claim: one for expenses in Canada, and the other for expenses abroad.
Missing receipts
  • If a receipt cannot be provided, you must complete a Travel Missing Receipt Form (.xls) for approval by financial services.
  • At all times, we require the Principle Investigators or their delegates' approval, ORIGINAL receipts, boarding passes, conference agenda, event poster and proper justification of expenses. If you are travelling overseas, providing your credit card statement will ensure that you are fully reimbursed for your expenses in Canadian currency. If you cannot provide your credit card statement, use the Bank of Canada exchange rate and be sure to include this in your claim. The exchange rate should be averaged for the travel period.
How to submit your claim

You can submit your claim in person directly to the Financial Office (RGN 3021).

Following these general guidelines ensures that your request is processed in a timely fashion.

For all questions, contact us at

The information on this page is subject to change without notice
and does not represent a commitment from the University of Ottawa.

Back to top