University of Ottawa
600 Peter Morand Cresc.
Faculty of Medicine
Assistant Dean, Francophone Affairs
The University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine (FoM) invites applications and nominations for this leadership position.
Together with the Vice-Dean of Francophone Affairs, promote, through innovation, the influence of La Francophonie both within the Faculty of Medicine and the University of Ottawa, and across Canada, while ensuring a positive Francophone image. Fosters commitment and a sense of belonging to the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine among Francophone and Francophile learners, support staff and professors/researchers.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Dean
- Assist in the appointment of Francophone faculty members, their progression through the ranks and their development with Faculty Affairs.
- Develop and offer a coaching program for Francophone learners and faculty members.
- Integrate innovative teaching methods to solidify the curriculum, with the goal of strengthening the National Stream (CNFS).
- Participate in the development of new French-language residency and fellowship positions in various general specialties.
- Participate in the development and implementation of a new master’s degree program in medical education in French at the Faculty of Medicine.
- Foster, initiate and lead research projects in medical education in collaboration with various partners, and explore ways to fund these projects.
- Support the Vice-Dean in representing Francophone Affairs within the Faculty of Medicine, with the University of Ottawa and all other external bodies, including accrediting bodies and other organizations, as required.
Location and Compensation:
Time Allocation: 2 days per week. The successful candidate is expected to be located at the Faculty of Medicine during the 1 day. However, consideration will be given to flexible work arrangements that would enable the successful candidate to spread the work over the entire week.
Compensation will be aligned with Faculty of Medicine guidelines for administrative stipends. The duration of the appointment will be up to 5 years, renewable once.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- MD and/or PhD with an excellent understanding of the Faculty of Medicine programs and initiatives, as well as of the new 2020-2025 strategic plan called “Leading Innovation for a Healthier World”;
- A seasoned leader with a proven track record of engaging teams, balancing organizational priorities, demonstrating academic excellence and performing research;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational and leadership skills;
- Demonstrated national or international impact in one or more of the following domains: teaching, academic leadership and research;
- A clinician or researcher who is in good standing with their professional governing body;
- A university rank of Associate or Full Professor;
- Eligibility for medical licensure in Ontario (if applicable); and
- Fluency in one official language with at least a passive knowledge of the other.
You are invited to forward a letter of intent and CV no later than April 11, 2021 to: