The Faculty of Medicine feels it is important to offer a pre-departure training to medical, nursing, graduate and postgraduate students for any international experience. The learning objectives include personal safety and health, travel risks, cultural awareness, language competencies and ethical considerations.
Pre-Departure Training is a free session that take place 3 times per year in the Fall, Winter, and Spring .
Fall:October 2, 2019
Winter: January 18, 2020
Spring: April 29, 2020
We recommend that students complete the training during their first year of medical school for the following reasons:
- The training is valid for their entire Undergraduate Medical Education and will not need to be repeated during this time.
- There are fewer opportunities in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year schedules.
Pre-departure training is a MANDATORY requirement in order to be approved to go on an international elective.
As part of pre-departure training, students will also complete five on-line modules.
The online modules can be completed by following these steps:
- Register on the AGHN website. Once you are registered you can enrol in the education modules by clicking on the education tab.
- You will complete the 5 following modules:
- Introduction to global health
- The ethical responsibilities of global medical volunteerism
- A guide to personal safety
- The social determinants of health
- Cultural competency