All applicants who are approved as travelers will have to complete the following requirements prior to departure:
Financial Pre-Approval (if travel is subsidized by a Faculty Department)
Travelers must submit a pre-approval request to the Faculty of Medicine Financial Services:
N.B. Travelers must submit their pre-approval requests to Finance at least 7 business days before departure. Neglecting to do this will delay travel reimbursements upon return to Canada.
For any inquiries about the reimbursement forms or Concur, please contact the Medicine Travel Resource office. Helpful resources can also be found on the uOttawa eTravel webpage.
Receipts and Boarding Passes:
Travelers must keep all expense receipts (including boarding passes) for reimbursement (if applicable) upon return to Canada.
Travelers can purchase flights themselves (contact IGHO at ighomed@uOttawa.ca if you need support). Travelers are encouraged to book flight at least one month prior to departure, to ensure best pricing.
Flights can also be purchased for travelers by Medicine Travel Resource office
Visa Application Process
Many international destinations require invitation letters and travel visa for entry. Applicants should consult the Government of Canada website for the latest visa requirements.
For travelers taking part in travels related to the Faculty of Medicine’s international partnerships, the IGHO can request an invitation letter on your behalf required for visa applications (if applicable).
If travelling as part of a delegation (more than 1 individual traveling to same destination), the hotel reservations will be made by the IGHO. Travelers will receive their booking confirmation by email and may be responsible to organize transportation between the airport and their hotel.
Before departure, travelers may be required to participate in a pre-departure training if travelling to countries posing a high level of risk. Training may be delivered at an in-person session or as an information package sent to you by email.
Medical and security risk services
The University of Ottawa has developed a formal risk management framework that is applied to the University as a whole.
Before traveling abroad, please consult the uOttawa International Travel Risk Management Directive.
Pre-Departure Travel Checklist
- I have submitted financial pre-approval request to the uOttawa Faculty of Medicine Finance Department for financial pre-travel approval.
- I have received the invitation letter from the International and Global Health Office.
- My passport is valid for at least six months beyond my return travel date.
- I have checked Visa requirements and secured all necessary visas and documents.
- I have consulted with a travel healthcare professional regarding travel immunizations.
- I have made flight arrangements and provided my itinerary to ighomed@uOttawa.ca.
- I have confirmed my hotel during my travels abroad.
- I have obtained adequate travel health insurance and have WSIB coverage (if applicable).
- I have provided my contact information to family, friends and my sending institution/organization. A close friend or family member also has a copy of my travel documents, placement details, and travel arrangements.
- I have registered with Canadians Abroad or Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (USA) and confirmed contact information for local Canadian, British and/or Australian embassies and consulates, as appropriate.
- I have refilled my regular prescriptions, including optometrical.
- My personal medical kit has been prepared according to the instructions of my doctor.
- I have money in both Canadian and appropriate international currencies.