- Clinical trials research
- Collaborative basic science research
- Clinical practice standards
- Quality assurance
Dr. Leader earned the 2008 Award of Excellence from the University of Ottawa Faculty Of Medicine. This honor was awarded to Dr. Leader for his leadership, contribution to research and teaching initiatives over the years.
Dr. Arthur Leader completed his undergraduate training at the University of Toronto, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and Economics. He then earned his Doctor of Medicine degree in the first medical class at McMaster University in 1972. After his internship in internal medicine, he was appointed as a consultant in research management to the Expanded Program in Human Reproduction at the World Health Organization in Geneva. He then completed an MRC Fellowship in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Karolinska Institute (Stockholm) and his residency in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the London (UK) teaching hospitals. He returned to the Sahlgrenska Hospital (Gothenburg) for a combined research and clinical fellowship before returning to Canada to obtain his Canadian specialty certification in Obstetrics and Gynecology. After completing further fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the University of Calgary, he co-founded the IVF program at the Foothills Hospital in 1983. He joined the University of Ottawa in 1986 and co-founded the IVF program at the Ottawa Hospital in 1988. He moved his practice to the Ottawa Fertility Centre in 2006.
Dr. Leader is a Full Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Medicine (Endocrinology) at the University of Ottawa, an attending physician at the Ottawa Hospital and a consultant and founding partner of the Ottawa Fertility Centre. He is certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. He has held many academic and administrative positions at the University of Ottawa including Division Head of Reproductive Medicine and Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He is a past President of the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society and a recipient of its Award of Excellence in 2006. He has been listed in Canada’s Who’s Who since 1992.
Dr. Leader is the author of over 100 articles in refereed journals, several book chapters and review articles. He has spoken nationally and internationally on infertility. He has advised provincial and federal governments on policy issues related to Assisted Human Reproduction. He has chaired expert working groups for Health Canada and currently chairs a CSA subcommittee on donor sperm, eggs and embryos. He was an inaugral member and spokesperson for the Stem Cell Oversight Committee of CIHR. He is a peer assessor for the College of Physicians and Surgeon of Ontario. He holds or has held grants from the MRC (CIHR), Health Canada and the pharmaceutical industry. His research has focused on treatments to improve the outcomes and safety of infertility therapy.
Dr. Leader’s practice is limited reproductive care, with particular interests in assisted human reproduction, male infertility and reproductive endocrinology. Dr. Leader continues to be an advocate for those health policies that promote the quality and safety of and access to assisted human reproduction for infertile Canadians.
- Noriko Kobayashi, Makoto Orisaka, Mingju Cao, Fumikazu Kotsuji, Arthur Leader, Noriaki Sakuragi, and Benjamin K. Tsang. Growth differentiation factor-9 mediates FSH – thyroid hormone interaction in the regulation of rat preantral follicular development.Endocrinology. 2009 Dec;150(12):5566-74.
- Chen XK, Wen SW, Bottomley J, Smith GN, Leader A, Walker MC. In vitro fertilization is associated with an increased risk for preeclampsia. Hypertens Pregnancy. 2009 Feb;28(1):1-12.
- Wen SW, Leader A, White RR, Léveillé MC, Wilkie V, Zhou J, Walker MC A comprehensive assessment of outcomes in pregnancies conceived by in vitro fertilization/intracytoplasmic sperm injection.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010 Jun;150(2):160-5
- Hamel M, Dufort I, Robert C, Léveillé MC, Leader A, Sirard MA. Identification of follicular marker genes as pregnancy predictors for human IVF: new evidence for the involvement of luteinization process. Mol Hum Reprod. 2010 Aug;16(8):548-56
- Tarlatzis BC, Griesinger G, Leader A, Rombauts L, Ijzerman-Boon PC, Mannaerts BM.Comparative incidence of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome following ovarian stimulation with corifollitropin alfa or recombinant FSH. Reprod Biomed Online. 2012 Apr;24(4):410-9. Epub 2012 Jan 24
- Bonduelle M, Mannaerts B, Leader A, Bergh C, Passier D, Devroey P. Prospective follow-up of 838 fetuses conceived after ovarian stimulation with corifollitropin alfa: comparative and overall neonatal outcome.Hum Reprod. 2012 Jul;27(7):2177-85. Epub 2012 May 15
- Wang Q, Kim JY, Xue K, Liu JY, Leader A, Tsang BK. Chemerin, a Novel Regulator of Follicular Steroidogenesis and Its Potential Involvement in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.Endocrinology. 2012 Sep 4.