Dr. Karen Fung Kee Fung MD, FRCSC, MHPE
Fellowship Program Director, Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Associate Professor, University of Ottawa
Dept. OB/GYN and Newborn Care,
Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
The Ottawa Hospital - General Campus
501 Smyth Road, Room 8484
Ottawa, ON K1H 8L6
Dr. Fung Kee Fungs medical degree is from the Memorial University of Newfoundland (1983). She completed Residency Training in OB/GYN at University of Manitoba followed by Fellowship Training in Maternal-Fetal Medicine in Winnipeg in 1988. In 2001 she completed her Master's degree in Health Professions Education at the University of Illinois in Chicago Dr. Fung-Kee-Fung maintains a national presence in educational leadership within Obstetrics and Gynecology and Maternal-Fetal Medicine. She is current Chair of the Examinational Board for MFM for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. She is a past Chair of the national Specialty Committee for the Royal College in Maternal -Fetal Medicine. She has served as Executive Secretary and Chair of the Test Committee for credentialing exams in Obstetrics and Gynecology for the RCPSC and has been a member of the Accreditation Committee of the College. Locally she is completing a third term as Program Director of the subspecialty training program in MFM. She is a co-recipient of a national award for innovation in medical education, The John Ruedy Award, for work in creating a national learning portfolio for residents in Obstetrics and Gynecology. She is an author of numerous articles, book chapters and abstracts in the areas of multiple pregnancy, alloimmune disease and postgraduate medical education
Dr. Fung Kee Fungs Perinatology Practice is largely focused in the area of multiple pregnancies and she is well respected professionally, within this domain. Her weekly MFM clinic dedicated to the management of complicated multiple gestations; such as monochorionic twins and higher order multiples provides rich educational experiences for both MFM fellows and OB/GYN Residents. Academically, she is interested in alloimmune disease of the fetus and is the principle author of national clinical practice guidelines on the Antenatal prevention of Rhesus disease on behalf of the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada. She has authored practice monographs on Erythroblastosis Fetalis for BMJ-on-line. For twenty years she has provided clinical leadership in management of this disease, responsible for performing intrauterine fetal transfusions.
She is the former Division Head, Maternal -Fetal Medicine, and Associate Chair of Education for the Dept. Of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Ottawa and Medical Lead of the Ultrasound Imaging Unit at The Ottawa Hospital.
- Michael Fung Kee Fung and Karen Fung Kee Fung.Web-based learning in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Gynecology Forum, 2003; 8(4) 19-21.
- Karen Fung Kee Fung,Michael Fung Kee Fung, Georges Bordage, Geoff Norman. Interactive Voice Response to assess residents laparoscopic skills: An instrument validation study. J Obstet Gynecol 2003;189:1-5
- Fung Kee Fung M, Walker M, Fung Kee Fung K, Temple L, Lajoie F, Bellemare G, Bryson SCP. An Internet-Based Learning Portfolio in Resident Education the K.O.A..L.A.TM Multi-Centre Program. Medical Education, 2000;34(6):474-9.
- Tan H, Wen SW, Mark W, Fung Kee Fung K, Demissie K, Rhoads GG. The association between fetal sex and preterm birth in twin pregnancies. Obstetrics and Gynecology 2004, Feb 1: 10392): 327-32
- Wen SW, Fung Kee Fung K, Oppenheimer L, Demissie K, Yang QY, Walker M. Occurrence and clinical predictors of cesarean delivery for second twin after vaginal delivery of the first twin. Obstetrics and Gynecology 2004, March; 103(3), 413-9
- Bahauddin Sallout, Karen Fung Kee Fung, Shi Wu Wen, Laura Medd, Mark Walker. The effect of fetal behavioral states on middle cerebral artery peak systolic velocity. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2004, 191 1283-1287.
- Shi Wu Wen, Karen Fung Kee Fung, Lawrence Oppenheimer, Kitaw Demissie, Qiuying Yang, Mark Walker. Neonatal morbidity in second twin according to gestational age at birth and mode of delivery. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004: 191, 773-7.
- Shi Wu Wen, Karen Fung Kee Fung, Lawrence Oppenheimer, Kitaw Demissie, Qiuying Yang, Mark Walker. Neonatal mortality in second twin according to cause of death, gestational age, and mode of delivery. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004: 191, 778-783.
- M Fung Kee Fung, A Reid, W Faught, T Le, C Chenier, S Verma, E Brydon, K Fung Kee Fung. Prospective Longitudinal Study of Ultrasound Screening for Endometrial Abnormalities in Women with Breast Cancer Receiving Tamoxifen. Gynecologic Oncology. 2003;91(1): 154-159
- K Fung Kee Fung, E Eason. SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines: Prevention of Rh Alloimmunization. JOGC 2003;25(9):765-783
- Karen Fung Kee Fung. Prevention of Rh alloimmunization: Are we there yet? JOGC 2003:25(9):716-719
- A Salvador, B Davies, K Fung Kee Fung, J Clinch, D Coyle, A Sweetman. Program evaluation of hospital-based antenatal home care for high risk women. Hosp Q. 2003 Spring;6(3):67-73,4
- Lougheed J, Sinclair BG, Fung Kee Fung K, Bigras J-L, Ryan G, Smallhorn JF, Hornberger L. Acquired Right Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction in the Recipient Twin in Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;38(5):1533-8
Current Grant Support
- Norman, Geoff, Oppenheimer, Lawrence, Fung Kee Fung, Karen; Moineau, Genevieve; Blayney, Marc; Clarke, Michael; Obrien, Patti; Miguel, Sergio. PDA Project, A Multicenter, Randomized Controlled Trial of the Reliability, Validity and Acceptability of PDAs for Use in Clinical Assessment, 2004
- Bonin, Brigitte; Oppenheimer, Lawrence; Claman, Paul; Baker, Kevin; Moreau, Daniel; Fung Kee Fung, Karen. TOHAMO Proposal The Use of Simulators and Pelvic Trainers in Obstetrics and Gynecology to Enhance Undergraduate and Postgraduate Education.
- Fung Kee Fung, Michael; Fung Kee Fung, Karen; Caughey, Sharon; Walker, Mark; Abdulla, Arifa. TOHAMO Proposal Expansion and Integration of a Patient Safety Module with Development of Internet-based PDA Learning Portfolio for Resident Education.
- Cardinal, Pierre; Kim, John; MacTavish, James; McGuire, Shaun; Brandys, Tim; Neilipovitz, Dave; Elliott, Robert; Weitzman, Brian; Woo, Michael; Sundaresan, Sudhir; Fung Kee Fung , Karen; Hodder, Rick. TOHAMO Proposal Teaching Crisis and Resource Management.
- Cardinal, Pierre; Brandys, Tim; Hodder, Rick; Kim, John; MacTavish, James; McGuire, Shaun; Fung Kee Fung, Karen; Neilipovitz, Dave; Elliott, Robert; Weitzman, Brian; Woo, Michael; Sundaresan, Sudhir. TOHAMO Proposal The Development of the Provisional Skills and Simulation Center (PSSC).
- Fung Kee Fung, Karen, Bonin, Brigitte; deVermette, Rosa. TOHAMO Proposal The UltraSim Ultrasound Simulator for Multi-Disciplinary Teaching of Ultrasound Imaging Skills.