Maternal Fetal Medicine Team’s approach to care includes a multidisciplinary team of perinatologists, specialized nurses, sonographers, a dietitian, a social worker and a psychologist. We provide consultations and on-going prenatal care to women with high-risk pregnancies from both campuses of The Ottawa Hospital. Pre-pregnancy consultations are provided to women who have medical problems and/or have had a history of complicated pregnancies or bad outcomes.
- Obstetrical Ultrasound / MFM provides 2D and 3D services from first trimester (gestational age, viability, fetal heart, identify multiples); NT scan at 11 to 14 weeks if indicated in conjunction with NIPT testing for Trisomy 18 and 21, etc; ultrasound guided amniocentesis between 14 to 16 weeks, morphology U/S at 18 to 22
- Genetics counseling with the Medical Genetics team at CHEO; 1st and 2nd trimester genetics screening, amnio and CVS.
- Fetal diagnosis and treatments in consultation with neonatology and NICU
- Management of complex multiples pregnancy, with triaging of complications for more complex treatments and then follow up.
- Management of fetal isoimmunization and other conditions leading to fetal anemia or thrombocytopenia requiring intrauterine sampling and transfusions.
- Prevention of preterm birth /cervical assessment and cerclage. Management of placenta previa, placenta accreta and IUGR
- Management of complex maternal conditions in pregnancy and collaboration with other specialties to optimize outcomes for both mother and baby