Minimally Invasive Gynecology is a philosophy rather then a specific set of procedures. The goal in our practice is to establish a patient centered approach to complex gynecologic conditions. This often involves a combination of medical and surgical therapies, however, each patient is unique and each plan is personalized.
The success of our group is built upon our advanced surgical practices including advanced skills in laparoscopic (abdominal key-hole surgery) and hysteroscopic (uterine surgery) surgery. Some complex gynaecologic conditions require a laparotomy (larger cut on the abdomen) for successful management and this also can be optimized with set protocols for pain, surgical incision and speedier recovery.
Our focus on complex gynaecologic diseases has led us to develop expertise in the following areas:
Beyond Hysterectomy: 2013-2014 Annual Report
- Endometriosis: A common and benign condition that may lead to pelvic pain and/or infertility. By working with our unique imaging experts, infertility clinic partners, pain specialists and our surgeons, we have a thorough and experienced approach to complex endometriosis cases.
- Specialized Nursing Endometriosis Clinic: Unique to our centre is a clinic that is run by one our nursing professionals who have developed an expertise in endometriosis care. This offers additional support for our patients for consultation and follow up.
- Uterine Fibroids: These are benign tumours of the uterine muscle that can result in significant impact on quality of life including heavy menstrual bleeding, pain and infertility. There are many options to manage this condition including medications, radiologic interventions and surgery. The surgery we offer includes uterine sparing procedures (myomectomy) and hysterectomy (removing the uterus). Each individual patient leaves with a plan that is right for them
- Chronic Pelvic Pain: Complex pain conditions in women often have a gynaecologic connection. Addressing pain holistically with our partners in pain management is an important part of our care plan. While the road to recovery is often long, we believe it is possible to help every patient improve their quality of life and offer help to those in need. Here’s how we do it:
Chronic Pelvic Pain Interdisciplinary Clinic: The only regional program addressing chronic pelvic pain and includes gynecology & anesthesia team based approaches. This program provides a holistic approach towards complex pain conditions. Women in this program receive comprehensive pelvic pain assessment, including pelvic pain mapping and pain education. Treatment modalities include the use of hormonal and neuromodulating medication, pelvic pain blocks such as pudendal nerve blocks and abdominal wall nerve blocks, and surgical intervention. The program also works collaboratively with many allied healthcare specialties including pelvic physiotherapy and mindfulness-based therapy.
- Outpatient (non general anesthetic) Hysteroscopy Suite: For management of uterine pathology or conditions without the need for a general anesthetic. Procedures performed here include:
- Endometrial ablation
- Hysteroscopic myomectomy
- Management of uterine scarring (Ashermans)
- Diagnosis for uterine malignancy
- Complex gynaecologic conditions: When there are rare or complex conditions that require a surgical opinion, our group is often involved. Conditions we often manage in our group include:
- Laparoscopic abdominal cerclage
- Uterine congenital anomalies
- Severe adhesions
- Risk reduction surgery for hereditary cancers
- Educational Video Library – For Students, Residents, Fellows and Surgeons