Medical Director, OB/GYN Ultrasound and Associate Professor
Dr. Bonin completed her medical training at Université de Montréal, Montréal, Québec. She completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Université de Montréal, obtaining her Certification from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1993. July of 1993, Dr. Bonin arrived at the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, as a Fellow in the Division Maternal Fetal Medicine, Ottawa Hospital at the General Campus. She proved to be a diligent and committed contributor during her fellowship and was subsequently invited to join the MFM Group in 1995. Dr. Bonin’s penchant for learning and education sent her back to the classroom, embarking on a journey to her MBA at the Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa which she completed in June 2010.
Today, she is serving as the Director of Medical Education for The Ottawa Hospital, a newly created role aimed at consolidating all medical trainees’ experience within the organization. In recent years, over and above her busy clinical practice in maternal fetal medicine and ultrasound, Dr. Bonin devoted her talents to the administration of The Ottawa Hospital, serving as Deputy Chief of Staff (five year term).
She is the former Medical Director of the Obstetrics and Gynecology Ultrasound Unit at The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus (1996 2002). She is an Associate Professor at the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Medicine, with an interest in both undergraduate and postgraduate medical education. Dr. Bonin served as the francophone co-chair for the Reproduction and Sexuality Block from 1998 through to 2001. During her tenure as co-chair, she had the opportunity to participate in the development of a new and vibrant aspect of the medical curriculum; the ‘francophone stream’. From June of 2001 to September of 2006, she was Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Medical Education at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Ottawa.
Clinic Area of Expertise:
Dr. Bonin has focused her areas of expertise in prenatal ultrasound and the management of fetal anomalies.
- Bonin, B; Posner, G,: Practical Health Care Simulations – The Use of Simulators in Obstetrics and Gynecology- Book Chapter. Editor Gary Lloyd July 2004.
- Keely, E; Dojeiji, S; Myers, K; Faught, w; Bonin, B: Pre-pregnancy counseling: What Do Residents Write in Their Consultation Letters?
- Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 2004:28 (1): 15-19
- Benzie, B. Bonin, R. De Vermette, N. Kennedy, L. Salvador. Evaluation of a CD-ROM based teaching program for fetal cardiac anomalies. ASUM Ultrasound Bulletin; 6:2;May 2003
- Bonin B. Hydration and Preterm Labour– What is the Best Practice? PPPESO Perinatal Newsletter; 2000;17(3)4.
- Gruslin A., Bonin B. Complications Associated with the Administration of Tocolytic Agents. J SOGC, 1998:20(10):953-69.
- Bonin B., Gruslin A., Simpson NAB, Rubin SZ, Oppenheimer LW. Second Trimester Prenatal Diagnosis of Congenital Gastric Outlet Obstruction. J Ultrasound Med. 1998; 17:403-06.
- Maheux PC, Bonin B, DiZazzo A., Guimond P., Monier D., Bourque J., Chiasson J-L. Glucose Homeostasis during Spontaneous Labor in Normal Human Pregnancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996; 81(1):209-215.
- Bonin B., Nimrod C. The Value of Prenatal Ultrasound. Medicine in North America 1996;19(1):28-35.
Oral Presentations and Invited Lecturer:
- Bonin B. Grand Rounds Presentation (parrainés par Duchesnay): 1) Nausées et vomissements de grossesse; 2) Principes de tératologie; 3) Infections aiguës et grossesse. Montfort Hospital, May 27, 2003
- Bonin B. Journal Club Presentations. 1) Depressed Medical Students’ Use of Mental Health Services and Barriers to Use. 2) Self-Care in Medical Education: Effectiveness of Health Habits Interventions for First-Year Medical Students. March 2003.
- Bonin B., Problem-Based Learning. The Medical School Approach. Celebration of Teaching Day. Center for University Teaching, University of Ottawa, 28 February 2003.
- Bonin B., Journal Club Presentation. 1) Characteristics of First-Year Medical Students in Canadian Medical Schools; 2) Effects of Rising Tuition Fees on Medical Schools Class Composition and Financial Outlook. March 25, 2002.
- Bonin B., Le Suivi des grossesses gémellaires. Hôpital du Sacré-Cœur de Montréal – Annual Meeting, Bromont, Qc Mai 2001.
- Bonin B. Identifying Characteristics that Students, Interns and Residents Look at in the Role Models. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maternal-Fetal Medicine – Journal Club Presentation, May 1, 2001.
- Bonin B. The Use of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology Antenatal High Risk Course – Nursing, University of Ottawa (1998)
- Bonin B., Management of Hypertensive Disorders in Labor and Delivery. Critical Care Obstetrics Nursing (1998).
- Bonin B. Understanding Hypertensive Disease in Pregnancy: Can Doppler Help? First Annual Staff Research Day, University of Ottawa, Ottawa General Hospital, Ottawa (Ontario), October 1997.
- Bonin B., Bourget F. L’utillisation de l’échographie en obstétrique. Hôpital St-Luc, Montréal (Québec), February 1996.
- Bonin B. L’échographie – anomalies tête et cou. Université de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke (Québec), May 1996.
- Bonin B., Nimrod C. Hypertension in Pregnancy – Doppler of the Middle Cerebral & Ophthalmic Arteries. Research Day, University of Ottawa, 1994.
- Bonin B., Ash, K. Ultrasound Markers of Aneuploidy in a Population at Risk, i.e with Positive Triple Screen. Research Day, University of Ottawa, 1994.
- Bonin B., Bessette P, Girard Y. Les grossesses ectopiques – Diagnostic et traitement. Université de Montréal – Interhospital Meeting, 1993.
- Bonin B., Maheux P.C., Chiasson J-L, Lemonnier M-C, Guimond P., Monier D. Le métabolisme du glucose pendant le travail à terme chez les femmes enceintes avec grossesse normale. Journée de la recherche, Université de Montréal – 1992 (1er prix).
- Bonin B., Asselin G., Boucher M. La rupture prémature des membranes à terme – : Induction du travail vs traitement conservateur; Débat. Rencontre interuniversitaire annuelle, province du Québec, 1992.
- Bonin B., Marquette G., Skoll A. Le devenir des grossesses compliquées d’un retard de croissance sévère entre 30 et 34 semaines. Presented at: Journée de la recherche, Université de Montréal (1991) – 2ième prix Association des Obstétriciens et gynécologues du Québec, Bromont, 1991.
Funded Research Activites:
- Pregnancy Induced Hypertension – Doppler Studies of the Middle Cerebral and Ophthalmic Arteries. Bonin, B., Nimrod, C., De Vermette, R. Principle Investigator. Ottawa General Hospital Grant (1995-1999): $28,000_
- Clinical Simulations in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Bonin, B., Guimond, J. Grant from the Centre de pédagogie universitaire (2001): $5,000_
Clinical Simulations in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Bonin, B., Posner, G. Educational Initiatives Residency Education Fund (2002): $3,000_
- Case Simulation. Bonin, B., Posner G. Education Initiatives Residency Education Fund (2003): $6,500_
- The Use of Simulators and Pelvic Trainers in Obstetrics and Gynecology to Enhance Undergraduate and Postgraduate Education. Bonin, B. et al., TOHAMO Academic Enhancement Fund: $50,000 total allotted to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Simulation projects.