Staff Physician and Associate Professor
Dr. Darine El-Chaâr completed her Obstetrical and Gynecology residency at The University of Ottawa in 2012. She was extensively involved in research projects during her residency at the Ottawa hospital which gathered several achievement awards, publications, national and international presentations. Research initiatives included the risks of obesity on maternal and neonatal obstetrical outcomes and interventions. Her research also explored funding for this project which would help look at the postpartum outcomes in this patient population.
In July of 2014, Dr. El-Chaâr completed her Maternal Fetal Medicine fellowship training at the University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital. Throughout her training, Darine maintained a keen interest in obstetrical research and its impact on women's health.
She joined the Maternal Fetal Medicine Department at The Ottawa Hospital as of July 2014. Her perinatology practice involves mostly maternal patients with Diabetes type 1, gestational diabetes, as well as elevated BMI. She also has skills and advanced training in prenatal invasive procedures and prenatal diagnosis.
Dr. El-Chaâr is actively involved in resident and fellow teaching, in addition to continuing development of the residency research educational curriculum. She continues to take part in national and international conferences where she is invited to speak out on maternal and fetal medicine initiatives. Through many platforms, Dr. El-Chaâr is dedicated to provide excellent patient care, and that is what motivates her daily in her research and educational activities. Making a positive impact on a patient’s care experience is always the main priority in her approach to care.
- Valdex Quintana M, Michaud J, El-Chaâr Darine, El Demellawy D, Nikkel S, Miller E. Fetal Segmental Spinal Dysgenesis and Unusual Segmental Agenesis of the Anterior Spinal Artery. Child Nervous System, Submitted February 2016. 1. Valdex Quintana M, Michaud J, El-Chaâr Darine, El Demellawy D, Nikkel S, Miller E. Fetal Segmental Spinal Dysgenesis and Unusual Segmental Agenesis of the Anterior Spinal Artery. Child Nervous System, Submitted February 2016.
- Clancy A, El-Chaâr Darine, Baker K. Necrotizing Myositis: A Severe Tension-Free Vaginal tape-Obturator Surgical Site Infection. JOGC Accepted for publication, February 23 2016
- Bouchard-Fortier G, El-Chaâr Darine, Hawrylyshyn P, Kingdom J, Lyons E. Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome-associated arterial and venous malformations in the lower uterine segment. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014 Aug; 36(8):665-6. PMID: 25222156
- Alnoman A, El-Khatib Z, M S Almrstani A, Walker M, El-Chaâr Darine. Case series of multiple repeat caesarean sections: operative, maternal, and neonatal outcome. J Matern Fetal Meonatal Med. 2015 Sep 12:1-5 (Epub ahead of print) PMID: 26364513
- Berndl A, El-Chaâr Darine, Murphy K, McDonald S. Does cervical ripening at term using a high volume foley catheter result in a lower caesarean section rate than a low volume foley catheter? A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014 Aug; 36(8):678-87. Review. PMID: 25222162
- Bouchard-Fortier G, El-Chaâr Darine, Hawrylyshyn P, Kingdom J, Lyons E. Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber syndrome-associated arterial and venous malformations in the lower uterine segment. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2014 Aug; 36(8):665-6. English, French. No abstract available. PMID: 25222156
- Garber A, Posner G, El-Chaâr Darine, Mitchell T. Simulation-based education in obstetrics and gynaecology training in Canada. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2013 Nov; 35(11):975-6. PMID: 24246394
- El-Chaâr Darine, Finkelstein SA, Tu X, Fell DB, Gaudet L, Sylvain J, Tawagi G, Wen SW, Walker M. The impact of increasing obesity class on obstetrical outcomes. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2013 Mar; 35(3):224-33. PMID: 23470110
- Gaudet L, Tu X, Fell D, El-Chaâr Darine, Wu Wen S, Walker M. The effect of maternal Class III obesity on neonatal outcomes: a retrospective matched cohort study. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012 Nov; 25(11):2281-6. doi: 10.3109/14767058.2012.688080. Epub 2012 May 23. PMID: 22530629
- El-Chaâr Darine, Posner G. Villar's nodule: umbilical endometriosis in a patient with stage IV endometriosis and previous umbilical hernia repair. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2012 Feb; 34(2):123. PMID: 22340059
- El-Chaâr Darine, Yang Q, Gao J, Bottomley J, Leader A, Wen SW, Walker M. Risk of birth defects increased in pregnancies conceived by assisted human reproduction. Fertil Steril. 2009 Nov; 92(5):1557-61. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.08.080. Epub 2008 Oct 29. PMID: 18973885
- El-Chaâr Darine, Gagnon A, Sorisky A. Inhibition of insulin signaling and adipogenesis by rapamycin: effect on phosphorylation of p70 S6 kinase vs eIF4E-BP1. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004 Feb; 28(2):191-8. PMID: 14970836