PGY-6 FORENSIC PATHOLOGY RESIDENCY TRAINING PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Program Length: One year
Session Dates: July 1 – June 30
Program Structure: Series of mandatory and elective rotations as well as weekly didactic sessions
Evaluation Methods: Direct Observation, Written and Practice Exams, Resident Portfolio
Program Director: Dr Alfredo E Walker
Accreditation: Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada
- Program Structure
- Application to the Program
The residency is 13 blocks (12-months) in duration divided into rotations as follows:
- One block of Transition to Discipline
- Three blocks of Foundations of Discipline
- Six blocks of Core of Discipline
- Three blocks of Transition to Practice
Further information regarding the training experiences can be found on the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons website
The program consists of four major educational components:
- performing autopsies and scene visits
- observation of autopsies and court testimony
- academic half-days
- seminars and special events.
Applying to the Program
Applicants to this program must have completed residency training in an RCPSC-accredited program in General Pathology or Anatomical pathology.
- Applicants must be either a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
- They must be presently enrolled in a Canadian/American residency program or have finished their residency program e.g. Anatomical Pathology within the last academic year.
- If the applicant is an IMG (a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who did their med school outside of Canada or the USA), they will have to undertake a Return of Service to Ontario.
Along with the Application form, the following documents (at a minimum) will be required; applicants should anticipate that further documentation will be needed based on individual circumstances.
Saturday, October 1, 2022
Oct 15 to Nov 15, 2022
Thursday, December 1, 2022
Offer acceptance due date
Friday, December 16, 2022
Monday, December 19, 2022
Second offer date (if needed)
Saturday, December 31, 2022
ALL documentation is to be submitted via email to:
Forensic Pathology Residency Training Program
Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa
4155-451 Smyth rd, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8M5
- Cover Letter/Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three Reference Letters from your postgraduate training program or recent employment to be sent directly via email to the Postgraduate Office (pgme@uOttawa.ca)
- Specialty Certificate from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Anatomical Pathology. If you plan on completing your Specialty training before the session start date of July 1 in the year you are applying, please have a letter of good standing with your expected completion date sent to the Postgraduate Office (pgme@uOttawa.ca) from your Program Director.