Dr. John P. Veinot
Dr. John P. Veinot
Professor and Chair
Work E-mail: email@example.com
Dr. Veinot is an Anatomical Pathologist and a Cardiovascular Pathologist, who has been working at TOH, CHEO, the University of Ottawa and the University of Ottawa Heart Institute since 1994. He is a Full Professor in the Faculty of Medicine and a Clinical Investigator of the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. He is an advocate for quality and patient centered care in the region.
Since 2010, he has been Chair of Department of PALM, the University of Ottawa, Head of Departments of PALM at TOH and at CHEO, and Chief Medical and Scientific Officer at the EORLA.
He is past President of the international Society for Cardiovascular Pathology and previously sat on the Physician Advisory panel of Accreditation Canada.
Dr. Veinot’s research interests lie in anatomical pathology and cardiovascular diseases. This has recently included the development of several consensus documents between the North American Society and European Association of Cardiovascular Pathologists regarding cardiac pathology training, cardiovascular surgical pathology protocols, heart biopsy use and protocols, and classification of aortitis and aortic diseases. He has authored over 250 manuscripts, multiple book chapters and co-authored a book on echocardiography-pathology correlations.
He is the recipient of several awards, including the uOttawa Excellence in Education Prize in 2002, the Faculty of Medicine Award for Excellence in Medical Education teaching in 2001, the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Best Teacher Award in both 2000 and 2010, and the Faculty of Medicine Award in Education: Educator Award for Communicator Competence (Anglophone Stream) in 2014.
Dr. Veinot completed his undergraduate training at Acadia University, his medical degree at Dalhousie Medical School and a rotating internship at Victoria Hospital in London, Ontario. He completed a residency in Anatomical Pathology at Queen’s University and a fellowship in Cardiovascular Pathology at the Mayo Clinic
- Fitzpatrick LA, Berkovitz N, dos Santos MP, Majeed N, Glikstein R, Chakraborty S, Veinot JP, Stotts G, Berthiauma A, Chatelain R. Vulnerable carotid plaque imaging and histopathology without a dedicated MRI receiver coil. The Neuroradiology Journal. 2017 1-9.
- Halushka MK, Angelini A, Bartoloni G, Basso C, Bartoroeva L, Bruneval P, Buja LM, Butany J, d’Amati G, Fallon JT, Gallacher PJ, Gittenberger-de Groot AC, Gouveia RH, Kholova I, Kelly KL, Leone O, Litovsky SH, Maleszewski JJ, Miller DV, Mitchell RN, Preston SD, Pucci A, Radio SJ, Rodriguez ER, Sheppard MN, Stone JR, Suvarna SK, Tan CD, Thiene G, , Veinot JP, van der Wal AC. Consensus statement on Surgical pathology of the aorta from the Society for Cardiovascular Pathology and the Association for European Cardiovascular Pathology: II: Non-inflammatory degenerative diseases – nomenclature and diagnostic criteria. Cardiovascular Pathology 2016 25:247-257.
- Gasbarrino K, Mantzoros C, Gorgui J, Veinot JP, Lai C, Daskalopoulou S. Circulating chemerin is associated with carotid plaque instability, while resistin is related to cerebrovascular symptomatology. ATVB. 2016 Aug;36(8):1670-8
- Doonan RJ, Gorgui J, Veinot JP, Lai C, Kyriacou E, Corriveau MM, Steinmetz OK, Daskalopoulou SS. Plaque echodensity and textural features are associated with histologic carotid plaque instability. J Vasc Surg. 2016 May 27. pii: S0741-5214
- Van Oosten EM, Boag AH, Cunningham K, Veinot J, Hamilton A, Petsikas D, Payne D, Hopman WM, Redfearn DP, Song WJ, Lamothe S, Zhang S, Baranchuk.The Histology of Human Right Atrial Tissue in Patients with High-Risk Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Underlying Cardiovascular Disease: A Pilot Study. IJC Heart & Vasculature. 2015; 6:71-75
- Ball CG, Veinot JP. Overview of technological development, complications, and grossing techniques in percutaneous coronary intervention. Acad Forensic Pathol 2015; 5(2):240-253.
- Stone JR, Bruneval P, Angelini A, Bartoloni G, Basso C, Bartoroeva L, Buja LM, Butany J, d’Amati G, Fallon JT, Gittenberger-de Groot AC, Gouveia RH, Halushka MK Kelly KL, Kholova I, Leone O, Litovsky SH, Maleszewski JJ, Miller DV, Mitchell RN, Preston S, Pucci A, Radio SJ, Rodriguez ER, Sheppard MN, Suvarna SK, Tan CD, Thiene G, van der Wal AC, Veinot JP. Consensus statement on Surgical pathology of the aorta from the Society for Cardiovascular Pathology and the Association for European Cardiovascular Pathology: 1: Inflammatory diseases. Cardiovascular Pathology 2015 24:267-278.
- Cote I, Sinclair J, Glikstein R, Woulfe J, Veinot J. Cerebral metastasis presenting after complete primary resection of atrial myxoma: case report. C J Neurological Sciences 2015; 42:457-460
- Doonan RJ, Hafiane A, Lai C, Veinot JP, Genest J, Daskalppoulou SS. Cholesterol efflux capacity, carotid atherosclerosis and cerebrovascular symptomatology. ATVB. 2014; 34:921-926.
- Giles KM, Rao RV, Ascah KJ, Veinot JP, Lam BK, Froeschl M. An unusual case of cardiogenic shock: common cause from uncommon etiology. Can J Cardiol 2014; 30:679-682.
- Robillard J, Pena E, Veinot JP, Fulop J, Dennie C. Pericardial lymphangiohemangioma: multimodality imaging features and pathological correlation. Circulation 2014 129;e657-e659
- Labrosse MR, Gerson E, Veinot JP, Beller CJ. Mechanical characterization of human aortas from pressurization testing and a paradigm shift for circumferential residual stress. Journal of Mechanical Behaviour of Biomedical Materials. 2013 17:44-55.
- Wang Y, Gao Z, Maleszewski JJ, http://ispub.com/IJPA/15/1/1515. Veinot JP, Wright JR, Maitland A. Mesothelial monocytic incidental cardiac excrescences: a new theory of pathogenesis. Internet Journal of Pathology 2013 15(1).
- Thiene G, Bruneval P, Veinot J, Leone O. Diagnostic use of the endomyocardial biopsy: a consensus statement. Virchow Archives. 2013 463(1):1-5.
- Mitoff PR, Mesana TG, Mielniczuk LM, Grenon J, Veinot JP, Cooper LT, Davies RA. Giant cell myocarditis in a patient with a spondyloarthropathy after a drug hypersensitivity reaction. Can J Cardiol. 2013 29:e1138e7-1138e8.
- Caravaggio JW, Hasu M, MacLaren R, Thabet M, Raizman JE, Veinot JP, Marcel YL, Milne RW, Whitman SC. Insulin degrading enzyme deficiency in bone marrow derived cells increases atherosclerosis in LDL receptor deficient mice. Cardiovascular Pathology. 2013 22:458-464.
- Jetty P, Jayaram S, Veinot J, Pratt M. Superficial femoral artery nitinol stent in a patient with nickel allergy. J. Vasc Surgery. 2013; 58:1388-90.
- Rao RV, Walsh S, Chan V, Stadnick E, Sohmer B, Veinot JP, Chan KL. Unusual cause of an ejection murmur: myxoma in the left ventricle outflow tract. Canadian J Cardiology. 2013 29:1742e13-1742e15.