Welcome to the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine – Histology Core Facility (HCF):
Excellence in Research and Education
The Histology Core Facility (HCF) is a full-service histology laboratory available to faculty, researchers, clinicians and students. The primary mission of the HCF is to provide efficient, high quality and cost-effective histological services for both animal and human tissue. HCF services include paraffin processing and embedding, paraffin and frozen sectioning as well as routine and special histological staining.
The HCF laboratory is equipped with:
- A fully automated Leica Bond III immunostainer to provide automated immunohistochemistry, in-situ hybridization and immunofluorescence
- Automated tissue processors for paraffin processing
- Automated microtomes for paraffin sectioning
- Automated stainer that can be programmed to provide a wide variety of routine and special stains
- Cryostats for sectioning frozen tissue
The HCF performs chromogenic or fluorescent immunohistochemistry staining on frozen and paraffin sections using either single or dual-color labelling. We also provide full service scanning using the Zeiss Mirax Midi, which digitizes whole microscope slides at 40X magnification and provides detailed high resolution images.
Experienced personnel in the HCF are available for consultation on project/protocol design, technical assistance and training on facility instruments. The iLab online system is used for all of our histological services and instrument training.