The research program of the Division of Emergency Medicine is at the forefront of pediatric emergency medicine research in Canada. Our researchers have been leaders in founding national and international research consortia, including Pediatric Emergency Research Canada (PERC) and Pediatric Emergency Research Networks (PERN), an international consortium of research networks.
The Emergency Department Research Group supports the research initiatives of the division at CHEO and through involvement in national and international multi-centre trials. Significant collaborations with other CHEO and University of Ottawa researchers also exist to advance a broad range of research questions. All emergency physicians have access to research support through this research group and the Clinical Research Unit of the CHEO Research Institute.
- Pediatric respiratory illnesses (asthma, bronchiolitis, croup)
- Concussion and minor head injury
- Youth mental health
- Patient safety
- Wound and injury management, injury prevention
- Point-of-care ultrasound
- Anaphylaxis and allergic reaction management
- Pain management/reduction
- Medical education and knowledge translation of evidence for community providers
- Health systems and operational improvement research